Coloring Buttercream

Decorating By cakesbycee Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 2:42pm by Cupcations

cakesbycee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycee Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 5

I currently use Wilton gel colors, and have been told by previous teachers that using liquid colors can thin out icing. However, I use a product called "Super Black" that is liquid for my black coloring in buttercream and it doesn't thin out at all. So, I'm thinking on switching to liquids for all my colors vs gels...would this be a mistake?

Also, in order to get nice, deep colors and NOT have the bitter taste afterwards, what works best? Liquids? or Powders?

I'm going to be coloring buttercream mainly.

Thanks in advance for the replies! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 5

What is the brand of Super Black? I would stick with gels. I've used Wilton colors in the past, but I didn't like having to use a toothpick to get the color out. I switched to Americolor because they come in a squeeze bottle. Very handy.

The instructors are meaning the liquid food coloring you would find with the other extracts and spices in the supermarket. While Wilton colors and Americolors have different consistencies (Americolor is thinner than Wilton) both are considered gel colors.

I've never used powdered colors so I have no advice to offer there. But at work I use nothing but gel colors and they work fine. And I make black starting from white buttercream and just keep adding black to it. The key to mixing a dark color is to mix it earlier than when you really need it. Colors will "bloom" or darken over time so if you're going for royal blue, let it sit for a little while. Even just about 15 minutes will do and you'll start to see the color darken.

cakesbycee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycee Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure what brand the "Super Black" was. This came in 2 forms. One that you had to use a toothpick, and another that was in a squeeze bottle and thinner. When using the "super black" in toothpick form, the icing turned so bitter I had to throw it out. And this was after letting it sick (it was only a charcoal grey color), but when I tasted another person's black in my class that used the squeeze bottle form, you could barely taste any coloring in it! I am familiar w/ letting icings sit, and it does change! icon_smile.gif

Recently I made a deeper pink color from gels (the kind you use tooth picks for) and it was very bitter tasting. This is my only fear...how to remove the bitter taste from icings. icon_sad.gif I haven't seemed to master this skill yet. I have a cake to make for this wknd that calls from brown. My customer doesn't want choc frosting, but the buttercream I make. I'm worried that will taste bitter since the cake will predominantly be brown.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 5

Then just get the brown in a squeeze bottle. Sounds like it's the thick gels that you don't like, I would stick with the squeeze bottles then. I use them simply for the convenience.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with Rose_N_Crantz..

Americolor gel colors are way better than the Wilton ones. Their colors get more intense/darker with time. If you want a dark color such as black start with chocolate butter cream & go from there. I did a black batch yesterday although I started with white, I got a dark charcoal color & I used most of the bottle. Now the batch is in the freezer for at least 48 hours... It gets darker every time I check on it... Also it will get even darker when it drys.
Taste wise I didnt taste anything abnormal/bitter

HTH thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%