Freezing A Completed Cake?

Decorating By BeeSweetBakeshoppe Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 8:22pm by cakesbycee

BeeSweetBakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeSweetBakeshoppe Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 4

I have a good friend who has asked me to make her wedding cake in December, but I will be out of town during her wedding day. She wants an Italian cream cake, just simply decorated with cream cheese frosting and nuts crusting the outside; two layers. I know I have seen a couple posts on here about people freezing completed cakes with buttercream...has anyone tried this with cream cheese icing? Am I nuts for thinking about this? Also, I'd love any tips/tricks for how to get it done if you have any. Thanks guys!

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 4

Cream Cheese icing can be frozen.

BeeSweetBakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeSweetBakeshoppe Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 4

So I could make the layers, torte fill and frost, then freeze each individually and have her assemble the day of? How would you wrap it for freezing? Use crusting cream cheese icing, and wrap each layer in plastic wrap doubly, then foil? I heard someone suggest then putting the whole thing in a trash bag to keep additional moisture out when you are thawing...

cakesbycee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycee Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 4

You should definitely freeze any cake using cream cheese icing, since that is a dairy product---so you will be fine there.
Regarding this freezing of the finished product. My teacher always advised to wrap a cake in wax paper, then wrap in foil, but this was for a cake that wasn't frosted...so, I'm guessing you could do the same with a frosted cake. I would think the actual icing would be what keeps the cake moist once frosted.
Also, never heard the trash bag idea, but hopefully another user will reply to that comment. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%