Tips For Keeping Cupcakes Fresh For 2-3 Days

Baking By rlowry03 Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 10:39pm by rlowry03

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:04am
post #1 of 10

I find that my cupcakes are really good on day 1. Then they're pretty good on day 2 and start to get too dry by day 3. I usually decorate on day 1, store in the fridge overnight and deliver on day 2.

I've used scratch, wasc, and pudding added to mixes. I've tried boxed cupcakes and sealed in tupperware and both are about the same.

Has anyone found any recipes that are really good for staying moist for several days? Do they usually have higher amounts of liquid or butter? Any tips?

9 replies
Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 10

I always freeze my cupcakes... IMO freezing adds moisture to them.

Try to bake, cool, then freeze in a Tupperware container. Some bakers wrap them up individually I don't , I just build up layers & separate them with saran wrap. Couple of hours before frosting take them out to defrost.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

Yeni131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yeni131 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 10

I noticex that when you refrigerate cupcakes it makes it dry faster. I dont put decorated cupcakes in the fridge, esp. WASC. it makes it really dry.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 10

The fridge will dry them faster than anything. You're better off leaving them at room temperature.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 10

I agree with everyone else: Do NOT refrigerate them. I freeze my cakes warm now overnight (to me it makes them more moist.)

Also there is a cake in the recipe section on here that I would reccommend for moisture problems. It's called Durable 3D and Wedding Cake. It has sour cream in it and stays moist longer than some.

Remember, cuppies will always dry out faster than cakes because they are so tiny! Good luck.

rlowry03 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 10

I've been refrigerating because I use SMBC and it's really hot here. I'm afraid that transporting room temp cupcakes will lead to a melted disaster!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 5:11am
post #7 of 10

SMBC is a disaster in the summer unless your house, car and the venue all have AC. Can you use a different bc?

rlowry03 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 10

I could, but I just don't want too icon_twisted.gif ! Honestly I hate powdered sugar buttercream, I think it tastes awful. So I've switched over to this amazing creation and I'll only leave it kicking and screaming!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 10

I hate the powdered buttercreams too, so I understand. But there's still only one solution then. To make the cupcakes, keep them at room temperature, make the buttercream, refrigerate buttercream, take buttercream out from fridge the day of delivery and decorate.

There are people who will go as far as making fillings and buttercreams ahead of time, but baking the day of delivery for maximum freshness.

rlowry03 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 10

Nothing can ever be easy! *Sigh*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%