How Many Tablespoons In 1Oz Of Meringue Powder?

Baking By noms Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 1:24am by noms

noms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noms Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:23am
post #1 of 14

I am trying to figure out how many batches of my icing recipe (5T powder) a 10oz tub of meringue powder will make so I know how much to buy.

Does anyone know how many tablespoons are in one ounce of powder?

13 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:35am
post #2 of 14

Here's a handy conversion chart.

http://www.recipedelights.com/measurements.htm

noms Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:38am
post #3 of 14

Would that work for meringue powder? It's 10oz by weight, but some things are lighter than others and will take up more physical space. If it was fluid oz, it would work, but I don't know if the conversion will be the same for this stuff.

noms Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:43am
post #4 of 14

I'm pretty sure this conversion chart is for water - meringue is much lighter. The 10oz tub is far larger than 1.25 cups.

cakestyles Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:55am
post #5 of 14

There are different conversions on the left column on that page.

Do you have a scale?

cakestyles Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:01am
post #6 of 14

OK ignore that first chart...lol

Here's a better one with dry and liquid. 1 dry tablespoon=.5oz so 2 tablespoons in one ounce

http://www.csgnetwork.com/cookmeasuretable.html

noms Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:40am
post #7 of 14

So I found nutrition information for Wilton's online - 1 8oz container is 36 teaspoons or 12 tablespoons.

However, I then found on Joann's site that one 16oz container of Wilton's makes 20 batches of icing (I think that recipe uses 3T, though, not 5).

It's unfortunate that meringue powder is so expensive - 1 10oz. tub of Ateco brand isn't going to last all that long and it's around $12. I wonder if there is a cheaper way to buy that brand in bulk as I don't care for the taste of the Wilton's powder at all.

cakestyles Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:00am
post #8 of 14

Amazon sells a 10lb bucket of the Ateco but it's $135...here's a link to that.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ateco+meringue+powder&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=5156602811&ref=pd_sl_5998nwsrwi_b

They also sell a 20 oz size for about $20.

Do you use it all year round in your icing or just in the summer?

noms Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:09am
post #9 of 14

I am actually just getting into cooking decorating. It was something I loved to do, but hated the idea of having to fill numerous pastry bags with different colors, using different tips. But I recently discovered the brilliant idea of using small bottles with couplers attached to them for piping and larger bottles with nozzles for flooding. I can't believe I'd never thought of using them before considering I have some of the larger bottles for sauces and things like that. But I now see that many cookie decorators actually use bottles instead and it was like a lightbulb went on! So now with the bottles, that makes using many colors much easier.

I used to just use egg whites, but then had yolks left over. I've also read about how some bakers use powdered egg whites (which I used to have, but tossed when I moved because I never used them), but the problem with those is that you have to hydrate them for awhile before using them in royal icing.

Cookie decorating is something I would love to get into as a small-scale internet business, but it'll take a lot of practice (and icing) to get to that point.

Definitely can't justify buying 10lbs of it, but I was considering the 20oz container. I might just go with the 10oz. to try it compared to using dried egg whites which are MUCH cheaper.

Thanks!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:47am
post #10 of 14

Here is another way to figure things. I know that different dry ingredients have different weights, but I think that possibly this might give you a ball park idea. There are 16Tablespoons to a cup, If you take a 10oz container and measure it into a cup container and you then measure the remaining amount in another cup possibly a 1/4c. you will know that you will have about 20 T. to a 10oz. container. I hope this makes sense.

noms Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:50am
post #11 of 14

It makes sense, but I don't have any meringue powder to measure icon_smile.gif I was just asking before placing an order for it so I know whether I should get the 10oz. or the 20oz. I guess I will just bite the bullet and order the 10oz and see how long it lasts. I don't make cookies all the time, but I hate running out and waiting for a new order to arrive. Because I am really not a fan of Wilton's powder, I have to special order Ateco brand online which takes time.

vnas5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnas5 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:41am
post #12 of 14

If you go to gourmetslueth.com and click on conversions you can pick almost any product and convert it from anything to anything lol it's a great site for converting. Hope that helps!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:51pm
post #13 of 14

noms, one other way to do it would be if you had a set of scales. measure out by tablespoon fulls some baking powder to see how much comes to one ounce? I would think that Baking powder would be a fairly close substance to weight. Or use the conversion chart these others have sent you.

noms Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:24am
post #14 of 14

The baking powder thing might work, though from my experience, egg whites are very lightweight and baking powder is heavy because of the mineral component to it. But...I've since found a few sites that list the yield from a 10oz jar and unfortunately, it's only about 4-6 batches of icing. That's not very much considering a jar is $12. Ouch. I think powdered egg whites might have to suffice for me... or maybe I will mix them with powdered sugar and make my own "mix".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%