What Is Your Favorite Icing For Cupcakes?

Baking By jeartist Updated 10 Sep 2011 , 1:56am by Crazyforcupcakes

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 7

Just finished making some with a strusel topping which makes them pretty sweet already. Since most cupcakes have mounded icing for the dramatic look, I think these need an icing that is not as sweet as a basic buttercream. Any suggestions?

6 replies
salokin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salokin Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 7

What flavor is the cake itself? I make a peanut butter frosting that isnt that sweet at all. I only used the powder sugar to give it some structure and some what to add sweetness but I got that mostly from the peanut butter,

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 7

I love using the basics - pure unsalted butter, powdered sugar and flavoring (just enough powdered sugar until the icing consistency comes together if that makes sense). The butter helps to mellow out the ps and the result is a simple but not too sweet icing.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 7

If you want a BC which is not as sweet as the powdered sugar based BC, try IMBC. I really like Shirley's method which you will find in the recipes here on CC. I use IMBC for all my cakes and cupcakes, I much prefer it to the super sweet BC, and I also like the texture better.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:20am
post #5 of 7

For less sweet frostings, stay away from powdered sugar. I personally prefer the European buttercreams and custard bases. But any without it are generally less sweet.

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:25am
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much! I made the peach cobbler cupcakes in the recipes here on cc. They're wonderful and recommended a cream cheese bc. Once I tasted them, I knew they needed a less sweet icing to complement the flavor. I'll check out the ones you guys recommended.

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:56am
post #7 of 7

I think the cooked flour frosting is delicious, light and fluffy, and definitely not as sweet as a traditional buttercream. It's the frosting that Magnolia Bakery uses on it's red velvet cupcakes. Since it uses regular sugar instead of powdered sugar, it's not as sweet.

http://www.ivillage.com/creamy-vanilla-frosting/3-r-65579

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%