Nut-Free Recipes?

Baking By jagar Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 9:15am by katie1214

jagar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jagar Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:13am
post #1 of 7

Are most of the recipes free of nuts? I've never had anybody ask for a nut-free cake due to allergies. If I'm making a cake with a cake mix as a base, I should just look at the box and the rest is pretty cut & dry right...maybe with the exception of the oil that I need to make sure is nut-free..? Not sure what else could possibly contain nuts.

6 replies
katie1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie1214 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:21am
post #2 of 7

My son was recently diagnosed with a nut allergy - apparently it's in a lot of stuff or a lot of stuff is made in places that also process nuts...who knew icon_lol.gif If I make cakes from scratch, I can check and most labels will tell you if it has nuts or is processed w/ nuts. If I use a doctored mix, you have to check b/c some do contain nuts or are processed with nuts. Most Pillsbury ones are not (I just hit a sale at the grocery store so I stocked up). Chocolate is another one you have to check as is sour cream (the one brand I looked at was processed in a nut facility...sour cream!?). Good luck!

katie1214 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:22am
post #3 of 7

My son was recently diagnosed with a nut allergy - apparently it's in a lot of stuff or a lot of stuff is made in places that also process nuts...who knew icon_lol.gif If I make cakes from scratch, I can check and most labels will tell you if it has nuts or is processed w/ nuts. If I use a doctored mix, you have to check b/c some do contain nuts or are processed with nuts. Most Pillsbury ones are not (I just hit a sale at the grocery store so I stocked up). Chocolate is another one you have to check as is sour cream (the one brand I looked at was processed in a nut facility...sour cream!?). Good luck!

jagar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jagar Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:39am
post #4 of 7

Thank you; I did not think about that chocolate or sour cream! I will check the labels closely! I feel bad for anyone with allergies..

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:47am
post #5 of 7

You need to look at the labels for all the ingredients you are using. My rule of thumb (I have severe allergies to nuts and peanuts) is that if it says it was processed on shared equipment with nuts, it's not safe, and if it says it was processed in the same facility with nuts, it's only safe if I contact the manufacturer and are comfortable with their procedures for avoiding cross-contamination. In my experience "processed in the same facility" is usually safe, but you will want to confirm that with your customer.

You also need to avoid cross-contamination by thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing all utensils and surfaces. Porous surfaces cannot be sanitized and should always be considered unsafe.

Also make sure your liability insurance is up to date, just in case.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:10am
post #6 of 7

No nut allergies here, but just an FYI that I discovered tonight! The Wilton Cake Release is made in a facility that also processes nut products. I never would have thought to look at the pan grease! I just happened to be looking at the label and saw it.

katie1214 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 9:15am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for that tip about same facility, Jason_Kraft...didn't realize that! I'm still learning the ins and outs of nut allergies and this info helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%