12X18 Cake

Baking By ngandara Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 12:02am by ngandara

ngandara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngandara Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 8

I have to make a 12x18 cake and last time I did this the edges got really crunchy. Any suggestions to make this cake perfect? I also had a hard time getting it out of the pan. I am going to try the Durable Cake recipe this time and put wax paper on the bottom. Anything else I should do?

7 replies
Tinacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinacakes Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 8

Be sure the batter is totally even in the pan, I would also not use wax paper, parchment paper is best

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 8

definately put wax or parchment paper on the bottom of the pan. Also, when you turn it out, put a cake board over the pan making sure to cover the whole pan, hold the board tight to the pan and flip the pan over. Then lift the pan off the board. If you want to be able to move it to another cake board, make sure you cover the first board with wax or parchment paper so it doesn't stick to it. Oh and do you run a knife along the edges of the pan before turning out?

Another thought...I did a 13"x18" and I just put two 9x13's side by side. If it has to be 12", you can do that and just cut an inch off to make it 12".

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 8

I spray a little pam on the bottom, cut a piece of parchment place that on the bottom of pan, then I spray a little more pam over that then I cut parchment strips to go up the sides which stick about 2 inches higher than the sides of the pan, then I spray a a little pam on those..... I also use the wilton baking strips, soaked with water and pined around the circumferance of the pan......and I put a cake nail in the center after I pour in the batter. So far every cake I have done this way rises evenly, bakes evenly, does not get hard edges and comes out of the pan beautifully! Prep is your friendicon_smile.gif

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 8

The best way to do this is to spray or prepare your baking pan like you normally do. Use parchment paper to line the bottom, wax paper will tear pieces out of the edges if you cool it too long.
When the batter is in the pan use 2 metal flower nails and put them in upside down about 1/3 in from each end. Bake at 325 degrees and check it about 30 min or so to see if it is done. Let cool in the pan for about 10 - 15 minutes, turn the cake out onto the cooling rack. When you do this and remove the pan and parchment paper the flower nails will just pop up and out of the cake.
I do this and it works every time. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
evelyn

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 8

I don't use wax paper or parchment! If you grease and flour your pan correctly and bake at a lower temp. [325 rather than 350] and making sure to level the batter in the pan....your cake should come out great on a cooling rack or covered cake board. When I do sheet cakes, I turn them out of the pan onto a cake board covered with a doily and leave them or onto saran wrap on either a cake board or cooling rack when I need to be able to flip them for stacking or whatever. Never have a problem with a well prepared pan!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 8

I have greased and floured for years, but wax paper or parchment will guarantee it to come out nicely and not as many crumbs. It is also easier to get out if you leave it in the pan too long.

ngandara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngandara Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 12:02am
post #8 of 8

Thank you all so much for the great advice! I recently make a 12x18 and it turned out perfect : ) I couldnt have done it w/o pure help so thanks again!!! : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%