Transporting A Tiered Cake?

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 4:55pm by mplaidgirl2

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:32am
post #1 of 11

How do you transport a tiered cake? And do you put them in boxes (if there is even a box big enough)? How does that work?

10 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:58am
post #2 of 11

If it's separated construction, the tiers must be transported separately.

If it's stacked construction, it can be transported stacked if supported properly and if you can lift it.

Bakery Craft has nice boxes for tiered cakes:
http://bakerycrafts.com/Home/Items/tabid/69/SrchStr/del%20sys/Default.aspx

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 4:56am
post #3 of 11

I've only made up to 3 tiers but I transport everything stacked. If its supported properly you will have no problems

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 11

This cake I'm fixing to make (this is my first tiered cake) will be a 2 tiered... 6" on top of 9", double layers... so it should be fine transported stacked/tiered right?

The cake is due Saturday so I won't have time to order some cake boxes. Would it be okay to just transport it like that, on the cake board?

This is the cake I'm going to try to make...
http://i52.tinypic.com/2hd0avs.jpg

bakinhoney1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinhoney1980 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 11

I have transported several 2 tiered cakes in my Tahoe and I do have one suggestion. Buy some of that rubber shelf liner and cut a piece large enough to sit the base of your cake on. This stuff is awesome and keeps anything from slipping around. It is kind of thick and you can buy it at any Wal-mart or Target store, even the dollar stores. I keep some in my vehicle and also hand a small piece to anyone that comes and picks a cake up.

CWR41 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britterfly

so it should be fine transported stacked/tiered right?

Right... as long as it's supported correctly.

If you didn't use SPS or a support system with plastic plates that can't be pierced, you should consider using a center dowel (or two) to help to prevent the tiers from sliding apart from one another.

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 11

A lot of people transport without a box, but I really prefer to have one (eliminates the possbility of things floating around in the air, or in your car getting on the cake...and definitely helpful if it's raining out) Do you have a BJs or similar store near you? They have tons of free boxes - I used a Domino Confectioners' Sugar box to transport a 2 tier cake before. I covered the inside with waxed paper to make it a little cleaner, and then flipped it on its side so I could slide the cake in and out. I didn't use the lid. Worked great for me.

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 11

Visit your local supermarket that sells flowers. I made a 3 tier cake for my daughter that I had to transport stacked. My hubby works at a supermarket and he bought me home a "floral" box that they receive their flowers in. It was about 12" X 16" X 30". The inside of the box was waxed so I was able to wipe it down. It even had handles cut into the side. I didn't trust those though. I put no stick shelf liner in and was good to go.

The top had to be cut thought because it was so tall it wouldn't fit in my car on my lap! I just covered it with some foil and taped it down. And for your peace of mind, if you don't have SPS, put a dowel in the middle!

mplaidgirl2 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:21pm
post #9 of 11

I transported a 3 tier cake stacked 90 miles. I didn't use SPS. But I did use the big platic dowels that wilton sells. They work great. You just have to make sure you have a ton of frosting between the tiers.

CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaidgirl2

You just have to make sure you have a ton of frosting between the tiers.

I wouldn't recommend any more than the normal amount.

Tell us why you recommend a ton for a successful transport.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 11

I actually really meant... instead of a dab to hold the tier in place... I put icing almost the same size of the cake circle so it doesn't move anywhere. I didn't mean like an inch think or anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%