Cake With Filling Too Sweet?

Baking By CSIMisty Updated 8 Sep 2011 , 3:05pm by CSIMisty

CSIMisty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSIMisty Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:09am
post #1 of 6

Hi guys,

I did a cake recently where the cake was strawberry (I used a mix). I did a strawberry jam filling (torted and filled). I used a icing dam to keep it from leaking and used a "pink" icing. It looked great but it was too sweet. How do you use filling and not have a cake that's too sweet?

CSIMisty

5 replies
traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:17am
post #2 of 6

I'm still trying to figure that out! I remember doing a cake with jam in it, and I also thought it was too sweet, so I stick with fillings that are more "cream" based. I feel like each cake has its own personality and demands different frostings and fillings. A strawberry cake just sounds sweet. Have you tried a cream cheese filling? That sounds like it would go well together.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 6:16am
post #3 of 6

If you are doing a four layer cake, the middle can be filled with a thin layer of jam. You won't need a dam because a thin layer packs a lot of flavor. The others can be frosting with a little added jam. Box mixes are already sweet, and jam is sweet unless it is gourmet or all-fruit. So combined, it gets rather sweet.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 6

Ditto to scp..... box mix+jam (what, half sugar?)+ABC = sweets overload. Just changing one of those components will help. Mousses are good for fillings and the "sleeve type" fruit fillings are less sweet than real preserves. SMBC or IMBC is a far less sweet icing option that ABC.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 6

Ditto to scp..... box mix+jam (what, half sugar?)+ABC = sweets overload. Just changing one of those components will help. Mousses are good for fillings and the "sleeve type" fruit fillings are less sweet than real preserves. SMBC or IMBC is a far less sweet icing option that ABC.

CSIMisty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSIMisty Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you!! I didn't think of using a cream cheese filling or that the boxed mix was going to be sweet. I'll have to try that..

CSIMisty

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%