Aaaah! Too Many Kinds Of "dusts.."

Decorating By Emmnemms Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 1:29am by Emmnemms

Emmnemms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmnemms Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:35am
post #1 of 7

Hiya icon_smile.gif
So, I'm lost... What is the difference between Shimmer dust, pearl dust, luster dust, and/or Petal dust?

Also, approx how much does Michaels charge per container? I live in Oregon and it is over an hour drive to the nearest craft/supply store. Is there a place online that has a good price? which brands do you like?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:49am
post #2 of 7

Try going to Crystal Colors by Sugarpaste. They are really good colors, lots of choices, and it's $5 per container (2 oz, I think). That is now the only place I go to get my dusts.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 5:37am
post #3 of 7

Shimmer, pearl and luster dusts have a pearly sheen to them. Petal dust has a flat matte finish and is usually used on gumpaste flowers.

The fish and sword in my photos are painted with coats of luster dusts.
thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 7

Wilton's Shimmer Dust are not used like other dusts. You have to wet the surface and sprinkle them on. They do not stick other wise and they do not dissolve in liquids.

Wilton's New Color dusts are what the rest of the world would call petal dusts. Wilton's does have a limited color selection, but they are FDA approved, so they are edible, where as most other petal dusts are just non toxic.

Witon's Pearl dusts, other than the white, are what is considered Luster dusts. Again they are edible.

Petal dusts are matte colors, usually used for flowers and such.

Pearl dusts are generally white in color and have some iridescence to them.

Luster dusts are colored dusts that have shimmer.

If you are looking for edible dusts, that can be mixed in to any of your icings as well as dusted with then you do want to look into Crystal colors by http://www.sugarpaste.com/colors/colors.htm. She has some great colors and there are many uses for them. They also have Crystalized colors that are like the luster dusts, but edible.

Emmnemms Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the help icon_smile.gif
I found 10 vials (new) of Wilton pearl dust in different colors for $36 shipped on Ebay.... So I'm just going to do that icon_smile.gif I'll be happy with whatever I end up with.

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 2:46am
post #6 of 7

eeek - don't get the wilton ones!!! I did as a last resort, and they do not work the way others do. You know when you see beautiful gold or silver painted on fondant? You can't do this with the Wilton ones.

Emmnemms Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:29am
post #7 of 7

Too late now :p Oh well, I didn't get silver or gold ones anyhow.... I'll be happy with what I have. Can only get better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%