Cake Topper Numbers

Decorating By mis622 Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 5:21pm by grandmomof1

mis622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis622 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:35am
post #1 of 8

Can ya'll give me detailed instructions on how you do the cake topper numbers....along with how you stand them on the cake. Thanks

7 replies
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 8

I roll fondant or gumpaste and cut out the number around a paper template with an xacto knife. (I print the number on the computer then cut it out to make my template.)

You can then slide a skewer or wire up into the number,
or cut two numbers and sandwich the skewer in the middle using gum glue or melted chocolate,
or you can glue the skewer to the back of the dried number with RI or melted chocolate.

Then just stick the skewer in the top of the cake once your number is dry.

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 8

Forgot to mention to attempt to get 2 skewers into each number if possible. It prevents spinning!

mis622 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:05am
post #4 of 8

Thanks

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:43am
post #5 of 8

I roll mine out into a rope and freehand shape the numbers and also use two skewers in mine. I make them up several days in advance to give them plenty of drying time. There are several in my photo album if you want to see what mine look like.

mis622 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 8

I have tried some in the past and sometimes they break or crack ( using MMF and gum tex). 2 days ago I used MMF and a little tylose power. I rolled mine and put straws in it (#3). The next day it dried good with no cracking. So I think they tylose worked the best so far with me. Thanks guys for responding.

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 8

Where do you insert the skewer in a number like "2" ? How far up does it have to be able to insert for it to hold it up?

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 8

I would make the two thick enough to place in the bottom on each side much like I did in the three on this cake: http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1931021

Use two skewers, allow it plenty of time to dry, and you should be okay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%