Fyi - Betty Crocker Cake Mixes Are Now Smaller

Decorating By cakemom59 Updated 18 Nov 2012 , 2:57pm by BakingIrene

cakemom59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom59 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 5

I use Betty Crocker cake mixes as the base for most of my cakes. I've always thought Betty Crocker made a moister, tastier cake. I recently bought several Chocolate Fudge Cake mixes to add to my inventory and noticed that the boxes were smaller than the one's I already had. There used to be 18.25 oz in a box and now there is only 15.25 oz. This makes approximately 3/4 cup less batter. A cake mix that once made 24 cupcakes now only makes ~22 1/2. Although the mix will fill a 9x13 pan, the cake will not be as thick. This will also affect my pricing on tier cakes since a cake mix that once made ~5 cups of batter now makes a little over 4 cups.

I contacted General Mills and received this response..."Thank you for contacting us concerning Betty Crocker SuperMoist chocolate fudge cake mix. We appreciate the opportunity to address this matter.
As of July 2011, this is a new change that has been made to make the product more affordable for consumers.
We know that affordability is important to our consumers and that great taste is even more important. This innovation bakes virtually the same size cake in the same 9x13 pan, while continuing to deliver great taste, high quality, and real value. Betty Crocker created this category and we are committed to ensuring it remains affordable for consumers."

Of course, I'll continue to buy Betty Crocker mixes since I like them but, I wanted to make the rest of you aware of the change in case you use them too.

BTW all Betty Crocker Cake mixes have been changed - not just Chocolate Fudge. You may not see it in your store until the new inventory is brought in.

4 replies
ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 5
BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 5

Ridiculous, I just used my last 18.25, ? the old ones, I never baked from doctored mixes and was trying out some recipes. I went shopping on Sunday and checked if they had the ew sizes which of course, they did. The price is the same,,,,,,,,!!!!!! what are they talking about. Have your prices at the markets been reduced? A shame, it should be the other way around, more mix for same price. I am not a fan of BC, I prefer duncan Hines or pillsbury. Years ago in the 80s, one of these companies so a mix for a bundt cake that had lemon pudding in it. My siste used to make it, and it was the most delicious cake I have tasted, next to mine of course, lol, no seriously trhey were that good. (forgive grammar-baking right now) lthough some companies have mixes with pudding in the mix, they are not the same company. by the way, some CC members have said they do not notice a different when baking, others say of course they do and have to calibrate everything again. I am going to Betty crocker and let them know what i think of this switch. I am a member of their website, that is, I receive recipes, news, etc. Was I informed of the switch, no, forgive my rant.

BeaHoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeaHoney Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 6:48am
post #4 of 5

I didn't really notice that the mixes were smaller when I made cakes, but for cupcakes it was very frustrating when I promised 24 cupcakes for a bake sale and had to mix up a second box just so I could supply 24. We are also a family of 6, so 24 cupcakes just works out better.

I don't know if this is related to the new size, but I had the worst time frosting a white cake this summer -- It crumbled terribly! I haven't made a white cake since! In this case I followed the recipe exactly. The only other time I had that much trouble with a crumbly Betty Crocker cake, was when I had made a vegan cake with egg replacer. 

I figure the only way to get General Mills to bring back their original package size is to stop buying the new smaller package. It is not convenient or economical if I have to use a second box! 

I sent the following message to General Mills in Canada....

Dear General Mills Canada Corp:
I was very sad to discover that your Betty Crocker cake mixes no longer make 24 cupcakes. It is very frustrating to have to prepare a second box of mix when 24 cupcakes are required. In the past I quite enjoyed your product for the taste and convenience, however it is no-longer convenient.

I understand that this change was put in place so that your product could remain economical. It is not economical for me if I need to open a second box!

I will be using up my current supply of mixes, but do not plan to buy any more of the new smaller size. It is far more economical to make cake from scratch, and now just as convenient.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 5

Yes well don't switch to Duncan Hines or Pillsbury.  They are also reducing the weight in the new boxes.

You should try the bulk cake mix from BulkBarn.  At least comparable quality and complete info online at bulkbarn.ca   and easy to use with a kitchen scale.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%