Need Tips On Attaching Gumpaste Flowers To Cake!!!

Decorating By CrumblesConfections Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 8:49pm by CrumblesConfections

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:31am
post #1 of 4

Hello all. This may seem like a question for Cake Decorating 101, but how do you all attach your gumpaste flowers to your cakes? I had a BEAST of a time on my last cake. I had 20 gauge wire on one flower and toothpicks (saw this on YouTube) on the others, but most of the cakes I see on CC look as if the flowers are attached (by glue) directly on the side of the cakes. Flowers like anemones or flat-backed flowers are what I'm referring to. How long do you wait after they dry to attach them? I want to make sure my next cake isn't so stressful because I stressed even after the cake was picked up wondering if the flowers would stay attached. Any ideas, pictures, tutorials, suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 4

What I do is attach a toothpick at an angle with royal icing to the back of the flower. This way when you attach it to the side of the cake it almost has like a hook design to keep it from sliding or moving.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 4

What I do is attach a toothpick at an angle with royal icing to the back of the flower. This way when you attach it to the side of the cake it almost has like a hook design to keep it from sliding or moving.

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you!! Any more tips???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%