I Know... I Know, No Money, No Cake. But She Is A Friend!

Decorating By nicunurse Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 12:15am by cakestyles

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 16

Ok, so I have read enough posts here, I should have known better. I have a good friend whom is also a co-worker, ask me to make her a Hello Kitty cake for a her 5 year old's B-Day party. I have heard since spring "I can't wait for my cake" "It's going to be great" I'm soo excited etc. Needed cake to feed 30. She knew my per serving price for fondant but we never sat down and said the cake is going to cost X dollars. (mistake number one icon_redface.gif ) So the party happened to be on the day of a predicted hurricane here in Va. Asked her the week before, are you sure you don't want to change your party date? No no no it will be fine. Party day morning... "we are rescheduling for the next day" Ok no problem. Call her the next day.. What time do you want the cake? Oh, you are going to reschedule for the following weekend? No problem! Into the freezer you go kitties.. Call the next weekend.. What time do you want the cake. OMG we forgot to tell you we rescheduled for a date 4 weeks away! WHAT?? icon_eek.gif Told her I wasn't sure how the cake would be by then. She finally asks, "how much do I owe you? To which I reply 120.00. She says, that fine. 45 minutes later i get a text saying, "I better pick up that cake and enjoy it.. it's 120.00! Is there a problem I ask? "Was that for ingredients" she asks, "but you don't have to tell me... I'm just being nosy!" WHAT??? icon_surprised.gif I was so offended! I just couldn't believe that she would even question me as to how I price my cakes and what I pay for supplies. I then said, that it seems as if she has had buyers remorse which she assured me that was not the case but that it was a shame that she's spending that much money on a cake that no one will be able to enjoy. After much back and forth the truth emerges in small bits... seems she thought she would get the "friend price", which she did because I made her a larger cake and didn't charge her the full price. I figure her idea of friend price was a heck of alot less. Anyway....I pulled that cake out of the freezer, finished it, then several hours later took two huge chunks of it to work. I would rather give it away then devalue my time and effort and say "Ok... I will give you the cake for 50 bucks." Blah. So... lesson learned. No money, no cake, and be sure before the first egg is cracked that they know what the cost will be. I should have taken the advice of many before me. thumbs_up.gif

15 replies
Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 16

I hope when you took the "two chunks" to work she didn't have a piece. What a nerve, but I guess it has been a lesson well learned. Sorry for your trouble.

nicunurse Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 16

I work at two different hospitals so the mega chunks went to the one she doesn't work at!! I did feel better that within an hour those nurses devoured that cake!!! icon_biggrin.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 16

Such a bummer )= I love how non-cake people think!My favorite question is "How much can eggs, butter, sugar and flour possibly cost?" Really??????? Well off topic, your cakes are BEAUTIFUL!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 16

And also remember that get your money BEFORE any work is started. icon_wink.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 16

Wait...I'm confused. She offered to pick up the cake that day since she was paying you $120 she wanted to enjoy it...what happened after that, that you decided she couldn't have the cake after all?

icon_confused.gif

pickles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pickles Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 16

[quote="cakestyles"]Wait...I'm confused. She offered to pick up the cake that day since she was paying you $120 she wanted to enjoy it...what happened after that, that you decided she couldn't have the cake after all?

You must have missed it but the buyer then started saying that she thought that she would have gotten a "friend discount". OP says that she did give the discount and made a larger cake than what was ordered. In other words she was griping about the price. I would have taken the cake and given it away also, rather than to let her have it at the less costly price and gripe and tell everyone. Buyer was not very nice not relaying the rescheduling of the party.

evelyn/aka cakegrandma

cakestyles Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 16

No I didn't miss that part...lol. The OP never stated that the girl was unwilling to pay her the $120, only that the client griped about it.

Who cares...let her gripe. She was still coming to get the cake, unless I misread that part. lol

nicunurse Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 16

Cakestlyles,
When I told her I wasn't sure of the quality of the cake when she changed the date,(it would have been decorated and frozen for a total of 5 weeks), she decided she would pick it up and serve it at a small BBQ and the remorse was that she was paying 120.00 for a cake that NOW was too big and she said "no one" would be able to enjoy it. ie: too much cake now for their needs. She was looking for a way to back out, after all what was she going to do with all that cake? The other piece I didn't ramble about was this was a dual b-day party, two 5 year olds. I also know the other mother and she didn't tell her she wasn't going to get the cake. When I face booked the cake pic, that mother saw it a commented that It was awesome and she couldn't wait to eat it!! Lucy... you have some "esplaining" to do.

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 16

That's what I was thinking too, cakestyles. She offered to come pick up the cake and pay the amount requested. I know it sucks when people complain about the cost of a cake, but that will always happen. It seemed she was willing to pay for it anyway, even though she didn't like the price. I guess I'm confused.

nicunurse Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 16

I gave her an "out" on this cake, Listening to her whine and the fact that I have to work with her.... I felt losing the friendship/work relationship wasn't worth it. I knew she didn't want to pay for the cake at that price and I certainly wasn't going to cave. I told her to get a store ought cake and slap some hello kitties on it and call it done. icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 8:13pm
post #12 of 16

"...after all what was she going to do with all that cake?"

apparently she wasn't too worried about what YOU were going to do with all that cake if she weaseled out of it. This person IS NOT a friend, by any stretch of the definition.

nicunurse Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 8:27pm
post #13 of 16

Yes, that's what I thought. She acted as if she was one of my biggest supporters, always showing random people my cakes and complimenting my work.She listened to me talk about the costs involved, the time effort and sleepless nights I have had. She knows I work 12 hour nights at two jobs sometimes 60 hrs a week, have 5 kids, and make cakes in what spare time I have. I guess that is why I was so offended and hurt that she of all people would try to get a "cheap" cake. Thanks to all for your comments.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 16

When do you sleep....lol! I have 5 kids and couldn't imagine working, let alone working 60 hours a week. And making beautiful cakes on top of it all. You are SUPERWOMAN!

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 9:03pm
post #15 of 16

I just reread your post and the part where she stated: Is that for ingredients?, made me see red. Wow, frenemies as they say on the hateful family/friends of brides on a cable show. I'm glad you took the cake apart. Good for you, after all, the way you work to support your family is commendable.

cakestyles Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 12:15am
post #16 of 16

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH So she was glad to not have to buy the cake after all?!?!

I see now...at first I was thinking she wanted the cake anyway and that she may be mad once she realized she wasn't going to get it.

Forgive me, I'm a little slow today. icon_redface.gif

I hope this doesn't make your work relationship awkward. One thing I've learned since becoming legal to sell cakes....you learn REAL fast who your friends are.

Your true friends who value your work and your friendship will NEVER question your prices or think you're trying to "stick it to them".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%