Gluten-Free?

Baking By AMOVERBY Updated 6 Sep 2011 , 10:41pm by coleslawcat

AMOVERBY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMOVERBY Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 11:50am
post #1 of 11

I need recipes for cake and icing that is gluten free. I only need a smaller portion of recipes because I only need to make a dozen cupcakes. Any flavors will work. TIA

10 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 11

I had to use Bobs Red Mill last month for a customer that usually get her cakes from my friend but she was on vacation so I did it. She said it was excellent

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 11

The Betty Crocker GF mixes make 12 cupcakes. Most frosting recipes should be GF, except the cooked flour ones obviously. If you are only do this one order GF I'd just buy the Betty Crocker mix and doctor it up (The Cake Doctor Does GF has a bunch of recipes). If you plan to do a lot of GF baking then you will want to find a flour blend that works for you. The mixes are expensive, but buying a bunch of GF flours to blend together and an entire bag of xanthan gum for just 1 cake is going to cost a whole lot more. The xanthan gum alone is about $10 and you only need a tsp or so.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 11

I used the pilsbury GF and it was terrible.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 11

Just make sure to be extremely careful about cross-contamination, including waiting 24 hours after flour has been in the baking area.

SpoiledSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoiledSweet Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 11

My husband eats GF, and I just recently made him a cake. I used the Betty Crocker yellow cake mix and doctored it up using the durable 3D cake recipe on here. It turned out pretty good icon_smile.gif

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 11

Agreed the betty crocker gf was terrible, I blend my own cake mix from different flours that are GF. Victorian spinge cake is my fave.

AMOVERBY Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 11

Okay thanks everyone, I'll try doctoring the box mixes. That was what I was thinking, but just wasn't sure about how they tasted.

coleslawcat Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 11

I have celiac disease and only bake gluten free. My first choice is to bake from scratch, but if I doctor up a Betty Crocker mix it tastes good too. I don't care for them plain.

I use this recipe from the Cake Doctor Does GF and I think it's good. I actually used it this weekend for a birthday cake for my niece and no one is GF except me and they all loved it.

1 Betty Crocker yellow cake mix
1/2 a vanilla instant pudding mix
3/4 cup milk
1 stick unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla

AMOVERBY Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 11

and that you use with the GF box mix? This sounds easy enough since I"m only making a few cupcakes. Thank you so much icon_smile.gif

coleslawcat Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, I use it with the Betty Crocker GF yellow cake mix

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%