How To Decorate Poured Ganache

Decorating By SammieB Updated 6 Sep 2011 , 3:33pm by SammieB

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 5:17am
post #1 of 4

My friend was asking me if it would be possible to pipe a floral design on poured ganache. I assume after it sets up that would be fine, but out of what? Royal icing, buttercream, melted chocolate?

3 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 5:46am
post #2 of 4

I've used whipped ganache before. I made a kitchen cake to go with a groom's cake I did a couple of years ago and I just put whipped ganache in a pastry bag and did some large filigree design on it. No one really saw it, because it was cut in the back, but it looked nice. I didn't think to take a picture of it then!

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 4

If you're like me and don't have a steady hand you could pipe a royal filigree on wax paper, let it dry and then add it to the ganache. To me just the smooth surface is beautiful if it's shiny.

I was on you tube and saw someone make a beautiful royal icing collar to put on top of a cake. It was lovely.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 4

Those are both good suggestions. My friend is shopping around for her wedding cake, and I'm her back up if she can't find what she wants. She's looking for a dark chocolate poured ganache on 2 tiers, and white chocolate poured ganache on the other 2, alternating colors. Then some type of simple decoration, swiss dots, small filigree, or floral pattern with a "w" on top. So I'm just trying to give her an idea of what to ask for even. My other question, before pouring ganache, would you do a thin crumbcoat first with spreadable ganache? That way there is a much smoother surface to pour over? Or do you think poured straight would be best...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%