Have A New Site Up, Please Let Me Know What You Think.

Business By Crustymuffin Updated 5 Sep 2011 , 6:09am by scp1127

Crustymuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crustymuffin Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 29

After months of designing and codeing this site it is finally live. I would love some feed back on it.

do you see any issue with loading speed and or disply issues?
does it flow/navigate well?
does it catch your attention?
do you think clients get the information they need.

http://crazycakes.com/index.php

28 replies
CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 29

I LOVE it! Beautiful work, the flow of the site is great and very informative! Very well done!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 29

crustymuffin: It definitely grabs your attention. No problem with navigating. Everything looks good to me.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 29

Excellent web site, one of the best I've seen. Nice attention to detail, I especially liked how the Gluten-Free tag on the Menu tab matches the perspective of the plate in the photo.

A few minor suggestions: under the Services tab you might want to go with a vertical orientation to present the three types of services you have to offer side-by-side. In your menu you have a few flavors with an asterisk but you don't indicate what that means. And on your contact form the field for Name & Address of Delivery Location is a little too big, you may want to make that smaller and add a field for an overview of the requested design.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 29

Looks good...very professional! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 1:26am
post #6 of 29

If feedback includes spelling and punctuation, I PM'd you a list.

Lookin' good!

KuyaRomeo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KuyaRomeo Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 1:41am
post #7 of 29

Site looks great . . but your cakes are what really takes the . . . cake!

Great cake gallery!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:03am
post #8 of 29

not really digging the calendar for the classes page. i'd rather they all be listed upfront rather than me have to look for them on each month or the year view. maybe the calendar view can be optional?

i really like the gallery. can't wait to see more of yall's cakes!

everything looks beautiful and well laid out! congrats!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:12am
post #9 of 29

Great site. On the "About Us" page, which one is Brian?

Good job on being up front on pricing.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:20am
post #10 of 29

Your "About Us" page is down right funny. You win teh internetz for cake website!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:40am
post #11 of 29

Love it! Its fast, pictures are great, information is just right, not too much, but answers most of the initial questions a customer may have! Congrats on having it up and running!!

tiredmomdm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiredmomdm Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 3:33am
post #12 of 29

the site is very easy to use and very professional. you are an amazing artist

tiredmomdm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiredmomdm Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 3:33am
post #13 of 29

the site is very easy to use and very professional. you are an amazing artist

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 4:42am
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Great site. On the "About Us" page, which one is Brian?

Good job on being up front on pricing.

The guy on the right...the other one is Danny from "Cake Boss".

(Love your cakes & About Us page!)

scp1127 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 5:04am
post #15 of 29

I watched the show, and I was pretty sure, but she should clarify it in the pictures.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 5:20am
post #16 of 29

Very user friendly site. Your cakes flavors sound so mouth watering good. I'm blown away by how flawless your cakes look and the level of detail.

Crustymuffin Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 4:08pm
post #17 of 29

Thank you all for the feedback. We will try to incorporate it the best we can.

Quick question:
Did everyone see that there are 3 cake galleries to choose from on the Gallery page. It is in a drop down just above the play buttons. I'm a little concerned about how hidden that is.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 4:29pm
post #18 of 29

Yes, I got it right away. Not hidden at all.

jason_kraft Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 5:00pm
post #19 of 29

I actually didn't notice there were three different galleries...perhaps having all three gallery names displayed as text links instead of a dropdown might help, or you could even merge the pictures into one gallery since the other two don't have too many pictures.

Also I noticed some of your cakes have copyrighted design elements (Star Trek, Air Jordan, Nintendo, LOTR, Guinness, etc.)...you may want to remove them unless you have permission from the copyright owners. Although I wouldn't be surprised if some of those cakes were commissioned by the owners themselves, if that's the case I would note that in the picture as it adds cachet to the cake.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 5:39pm
post #20 of 29

Really, really like the site. Just wanted to add that I checked the site on my iPhone and on the About Us page, I couldn't scroll down to see all of Jennifer's bio. I could see there was text but couldn't read it.

JoanieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanieB Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 6:07pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

"Also I noticed some of your cakes have copyrighted design elements (Star Trek, Air Jordan, Nintendo, LOTR, Guinness, etc.)...you may want to remove them unless you have permission from the copyright owners. Although I wouldn't be surprised if some of those cakes were commissioned by the owners themselves, if that's the case I would note that in the picture as it adds cachet to the cake."

I noticed this too Jason and was wondering why so many decorators even high profile ones get away with this?

I love the cakes, they're truly amazing. Could you specify whether or not the copyrighted images have been used with permission which is not unreasonable like Jason stated. It's just that if they aren't I find it ironic that your photos all say copyright of Crazy cakes and are possibly infringing on someone elses copyright?? icon_confused.gif

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 6:20pm
post #22 of 29

Looks wonderful and works perfectly well on Firefox.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 6:38pm
post #23 of 29

Overall looks good, the gallery is amazing! On your flavors page my husband and I were both reading it, he is not that familiar with cake and had tons of questions about the difference between high ratio and sponge and was sponge a normal cake or angel food cake. So for the non-cake-savvy crowd you may want to describe them or modify the terminology slightly. Also on the menu there were several asterisks but nothing explaining why they were asterisked that we could see.

Congrats on getting your page up.

Crustymuffin Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 7:40pm
post #24 of 29

The Crazy Cakes copyright is for the photo rights the characters and IP is protected by the respected owners. I used to have something that stated that on the old site I need to add that back into this version. But some of the cakes you guys are questoning are from contests, other's were commisions and a few were for my kids.

jason_kraft Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 1:40am
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustymuffin

The Crazy Cakes copyright is for the photo rights the characters and IP is protected by the respected owners. I used to have something that stated that on the old site I need to add that back into this version. But some of the cakes you guys are questoning are from contests, other's were commisions and a few were for my kids.

The commissions should be fine, but if the contest holders didn't obtain permission on behalf of the entrants then you should be very careful about displaying them. Cakes that were just for family can also be infringing -- normally this is not an issue since no one but the family knows about the cake, but by posting a picture on your business's web site you are dramatically increasing exposure as well as deriving commercial benefit from the picture.

I strongly recommend at least consulting your attorney (preferably one with IP experience) and ask their opinion on this matter.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 1:51am
post #26 of 29

I received a (nicely worded) cease and desist letter last month from Jack Daniels over the "Old Fart" cake that's in my gallery. Bottom line, they didn't care why I had it up, they felt I was infringing on their copyright and wanted it removed. My lawyer advised me that while there was an argument to be made for parody, it wasn't worth fighting over, so I took it down and the matter was dropped.

These companies ARE out there, scouring the internet for copyright infringement. I second Jason's suggestion to consult an attorney. My attorney had me remove even my University of Texas cake that I made for my husband's birthday, and the San Antonio Spurs groom's cake I once made. I've always been extremely careful about not posting character cakes on my cake business web site, and the letter from Jack Daniels completely blindsided me. Be careful!

scp1127 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 3:37am
post #27 of 29

kelleym, thanks for posting. I usually get a bunch of people telling me that I'm wrong or to mind my own business when I post about trademark infringement. So I usually don't comment anymore and they can find out the hard way.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 4:30am
post #28 of 29

My attorney told me that there are software programs that these companies use to scour the web to find images that violate their copyrights (trademarks are for names; copyrights are for images). It's not something they have paralegals doing manually, it's automated and they are very serious about it.

scp1127 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 6:09am
post #29 of 29

And even taking the pictures down now will not help, as the web is cached. This is a lucrative business for attorneys because it is so easy. The offender supplies all of the evidence.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%