What Is It With Customers...never Get Back To You On Time...

Lounge By Kiddiekakes Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 12:20pm by btrsktch

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 10

I am waiting for 2 customers to confirm cake orders for next week.Both cakes are quite big and require fondant embellishments that need a good week to dry..That being said..I stressed in my emails that I need to know by such and such of date so I can make the items...I have 4 other cakes booked and don't have time to do all the extras for these 2 cakes at the last minute..I have spent alot of time going back and forth with pictures and prices and I have a feeling they aren't even going to order..Such a waste of my time!! Why don't people just say "No,I've decided not at this time"...and stop wasting my time!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

It just insanely irritates me and shows a lack of respect for my time that they can't/won't decide and even if they have and decide not to order...FRICKEN EMAIL ME BACK AND SAY SO!!! icon_wink.gif

Okay..I am done now... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 12:47am
post #2 of 10

It is sad that this is the way so many people operate nowadays. You have to tell them how it will be and just hold to it. Let them know that if they don't follow your procedure--no matter what they think of it--they won't be getting a cake. Period.

I strongly suggest whipping out a big stick for any order(s) that are wedged in, or make a significant impact on your already full schedule:

"I must have your complete info no later than 5pm on x/x/xx or I will NOT be doing your cake. I do not, cannot, and will not, make any exceptions for this policy--ever.

Tell them when they inquire about the cake, remind them ONCE at your convenience, and then, forget about it---NO CAKE.

If you allow people to drag things out to the last minute, they will. The world is full of selfish.

Rae

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 8:42am
post #3 of 10

This annoys me too, although I'm not a business so it doesn't make much difference to me, but I get friends on Facebook mailing me asking how much it is for a cake, I tell them I only charge for ingredients and then work out the price for them, and never hear from them again. If it were me and someone said a price I couldn't afford, I would at least reply to say in some form oh I don't think I'll bother then! It annoys me more because my prices are for ingredients only, so in comparison to a proper bakery, they are definitely not mouth-gapingly expensive! It's just rudeness. I don't understand peoples problem with just saying no. They always say oh I'll have a think about it or nothing at all and that's the last you hear from them!

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 9:59am
post #4 of 10

Most people will not let you know if they are not going to go with you. They just fall off. Do not waste your energy trying to pull them up the side of the mountain. You already got a mountain to manage.

In the beginning I use to stress so much over pending clients because I felt the need to take every order. I wanted every order. I have learned over time as more and more orders are booked in advance, to only care as much as the client does. I book on a first to commit with full payment basis. So if someone takes forever to let me know something and another client has it together and is ready to book, I keep it moving and book the client who is ready. I have also figured from my data about my booking rates that customers who will leaky faucet me with info, inquire only about price and nothing else, who want to be negotiators, and/or mind changers, are not who I need to spend much time worrying about. I answer back and tell them when they need to have it together by, and move on. (In actuality it's worded much nicer than that in the emails or phone calls.)

As my business is growing, I find myself caring more and more about stress my levels. It's better to book those who are ready, bring you more more money, more free time, and less stress. If i'm going to worry at all it should be for one client who is equivalent to several smaller orders than multiple clients for several small orders. I am supposed to love what I do. I can not give that same love and energy to those who are not considerate.

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 10:00am
post #5 of 10

Most people will not let you know if they are not going to go with you. They just fall off. Do not waste your energy trying to pull them up the side of the mountain. You already got a mountain to manage.

In the beginning I use to stress so much over pending clients because I felt the need to take every order. I wanted every order. I have learned over time as more and more orders are booked in advance, to only care as much as the client does. I book on a first to commit with full payment basis. So if someone takes forever to let me know something and another client has it together and is ready to book, I keep it moving and book the client who is ready. I have also figured from my data about my booking rates that customers who will leaky faucet me with info, inquire only about price and nothing else, who want to be negotiators, and/or mind changers, are not who I need to spend much time worrying about. I answer back and tell them when they need to have it together by, and move on. (In actuality it's worded much nicer than that in the emails or phone calls.)

As my business is growing, I find myself caring more and more about stress my levels. It's better to book those who are ready, bring you more more money, more free time, and less stress. If i'm going to worry at all it should be for one client who is equivalent to several smaller orders than multiple clients for several small orders. I am supposed to love what I do. I can not give that same love and energy to those who are not considerate.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 10

I only bake for friends, but I think it makes it harder because I don't have any sort of contract and if I don't make a cake, I know they'll be very disappointed. That being said, I think in the future, if my friends say they want a cake, then take forever deciding design and flavor, I might just decided for them...

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 10

I do cakes mostly for friends and family too and you wouldn't believe how many times someone has asked for a cake and never called me back.

"Oh, I ended up picking up a cake at Pick n Save," one said. Well that's fine, but let ME know!!!
I am going to start giving my "friends" a deadline.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 10:03pm
post #8 of 10

First I would stop emailing ideas back and forth without a deposit. When the money is given, you know they are serious. Then, I would tell them that you need them to sign a contract before you put anything on your calendar.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 10

Well..Not exchanging information until I get a deposit doesn't work either.When I am a customer looking for prices etc I want all the information shown to me before I make a comittment with a deposit...I want to be able to offer everything in all my price ranges...

I think more of what I mean is these potential customers led me to believe that in the end they would be ordering so I was mad when they didn't,however I think I would lose potential customers if I refuse to offer ideas/pictures or cake styles by demanding a deposit first.

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

however I think I would lose potential customers if I refuse to offer ideas/pictures or cake styles by demanding a deposit first.

Not really... It's all in how you approach it. I'm recently dealt with 2 customers who tried playing the 'give me the price of this, and this and this' game. After 2 emails of basic information and answers to questions, I stop playing along. Put the ball in THIER court ~ ask them to send you a picture of what they like and then price it. If they come back with another picture, politely say: "I'm sorry, I gave you my pricing on the first cake. If you are interested in knowing more about a specific cake or any other services that I offer, you must first leave a deposit, and then we can design a cake exactly to fit your needs and your budget."

The tire kickers walk away, the real folks get a contract and send in a deposit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%