Making Fondant Sprinkles?

Decorating By cms2 Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 5:11pm by grandmomof1

cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 9

I have to make homemade color coordinated sprinkles for 100 cupcakes. What do you think would be the best way to mass produce fondant sprinkles?
I was thinking of using my clay gun and extruding a thin line and then cutting it into sprinkle size. Any other possible ways of going about it?

Thanks!

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 9

Do they really need to be made of fondant? I think you'd get more replies with suggestions, if not.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 9

I never even thought about hand making sprinkles. Your idea sounds like a good one though. Does your clay extruder have a disc that has alot of holes in it? You can squeeze out a bunch of lines of fondant at one time and then cut them into small sprinkle size pieces. Good luck!!!

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 9

Hopefully this link will work:

http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2011/03/homemade-rainbow-sprinkles-cake.html

If not check out i am baker dot com and search for sprinkles.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 9

The link isn't for fondant sprinkles, but if you're going to use glaze or royal icing, it's faster to pipe lines to chop rather than dots.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 9

I've made them before with a scrapbook punch. A very small plunger cutter works too...a little better than the scrapbook punch. You can also use a herb mincer to make tiny squares, or just a wheel cutter and make lots of lines.

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 1:52am
post #7 of 9

Theres a tutorial on Cake Journal, you should check it out icon_smile.gif

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 9

The link does work-you just have to scroll down a little and click on the link. thumbsdown.gif

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 5:11pm
post #9 of 9

Use a clay roller to roll your fondant out, then use your round icing tip to cut small circles out. This goes very quickly. This is the same method I use to make my pearls for my cakes. It helps make uniform size pearls.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%