First Complaint...venting!

Baking By SnLSweetEscapes Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 7:17am by DallasTexas

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 4

So I received my first complaint in over a year of selling my cupcakes. A lady called me and wanted Hockey Themed Cupcakes. I have a NYS Certified In Home Bakery and normally ask for 3 days notice but she gave me 2. She wanted Vanilla and Chocolate with White Buttercream and Fondant Hockey sticks and pucks. She also ordered a Cupcake Tear Apart Cake for Saturday. She picked up the cupcakes and loved them. I even called her later in the day to confirm pick up time for Saturday and she told me how she was hoping that she would be able to get one because they were going s fast. She called me 2 hours later and told me that she had to cancel the order for Saturday because she didn't like the vanilla cupcakes because "They just weren't right". I asked what about them she didn't like and she said that she wasn't really sure she just didn't like them. Then asked if I actually used Buttercram! Of course I did because that is what you ordered. I asked her if anyone else felt the same and she told me "My daughter didn't really care for them either". Okay so she was have 20 people over! I told her that I am shocked because I have heard nothing but compliments from my cupcakes. In fact I just had a "cupcake tasting" for a wedding and the bride and groom commented on how delicious the buttercream was and the vanilla cupcake!
My husband told me that she was looking for something free and not to let her get me down. I will not let her do that but it still stinks to receive a complaint. Thanks just needed to vent!

3 replies
jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 4

Your husband is a smart man...yes, she was prob hoping for something for nothing. (Maybe she was hoping you'd offer a discount on the second order she placed). In our line of business you will eventually have someone who will attempt this. Playing devils advocate, maybe she did not truly like them, but vanilla IS vanilla and Im sure they got eaten by others or you would have had more grief from her than you did.
If you have many other happy customers than let he be the water off a ducks back and move on.
Happy Caking!

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 4

I've learned that when people act irrationally (and her position on your cupcakes does smack of the irrational) they are probably going through their own problems that have nothing to do with you...you just got caught in the crossfire of her angst. It may be "safer" for her to aim her distress on your cupcakes than on the real source.

That doesn't make it any easier for you but you must have many other happy customers ...listen to them and ignore the occasional naysayers. Remember cakes/cupcakes are happy food.

DallasTexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DallasTexas Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 7:17am
post #4 of 4

Oh, gosh, this can be SO disheartening when you receive a complaint! The hockey themed cupcakes you described sound lovely--and delicious!!! You try to do something nice by accommodating her "last minute" order with 2 days lead time instead of 3, and this is what you get! Sheesh!!

I hope you took a deposit for the Saturday order that she cancelled, and that your contract says you keep the deposit if the order is cancelled by her for any reason!

Your hubby is a wise man. Y'know, it doesn't matter how many compliments we get, it's the complaints that we remember and that go straight to the heart of us.

My neighbor's little grandkid is wise too... he would call this woman a poopyhead! :O)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%