Sizes And Servings?

Decorating By creativethoughts Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 4:49am by caincakemaker

creativethoughts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativethoughts Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 3

Hey, so long story short I'm doing a cake for a wedding being planned by a friend for his brother. Wedding was going to be in August and I only had a months notice so I was going to do a cake and then a bunch of cupcakes. However the wedding was postponed when the bride was put on bed rest and so I Now have more time to plan. to my knowledge I am only baking for about 80 people.

What would be good size cakes? would I be able to do a 3 tier for that many with a 10, 8, and 6? also if I did do cupcakes would it be bad to fill them with a lemon curd before icing? or would the cured seep into the cake or spoil?

any help would be nice, thanx!

2 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 3

Here is the industry standard serving chart for wedding cakes:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

If you want larger slices, you can use Wilton's party chart.

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 4:49am
post #3 of 3

Use the chart for the cake size you want...it helps and I think the slices on Wilton's chart a little small so round up a little.

As far as the cupcakes, the curd might seep in a little depending on how runny it is, but I don't thing that is such a bad thing. I did a raspberry filling on a chocolate cupcake with vanilla buttercream and the raspberry stayed put pretty much. I divot-ed out a tiny bit of cake at the top and add the raspberry and then frosted over the whole top of the cupcake.

Good luck...HTH!

Angie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%