Best Pie Ever!?

Lounge By bunnypatchbaker Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 8:15pm by mandyloo

bunnypatchbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnypatchbaker Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 5

I need some ideas for a pie baking contest at my church coming up soon. What is the best pie recipe out there? I want something that will really wow everyone! Thanks for the advice! thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 5

Does it have to be baked?

For me, the best pies are the fresh fruit pies.

Blind bake a pie shell. Shellac the bottom with a thickened jam.

Use a thin layer of custard on the bottom.

Fill with cut, fresh prepared fruit. Berries are awesome. But any pie fruit will work.

Prepare a stove top jam of the same fruit using some puree and sugar and enough water to make a thick jam. Pour through a sieve and cover the fresh fruit with the jam.

Refrigerate and serve with fresh whipped cream.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 5

I have a Dutch apple pie recipe that will make you blow your head off. I got it from a finalist on Emeril's pie contest:

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/sinfulapplepie.shtml

It really is rich and delicious. For the best results, I always mix two or three types of apples.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 5

I have two favorites.

Hershey Bar pie with ritz cracker pie crust (sounds weird but the ritz cracker pie crust actually tastes like pecan pie.)

Caramel Apple Pecan Pie. Has a streusel topping then drizzled with caramel ice cream topping.

One's a cream pie and one's a fruit pie. Both are very decadent.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 5

The hands down best pie I've ever made was two layer key lime pie from Bon Appetit:

Two Layer Key Lime Pie Bon Appetit
April 2004
8 servings.

Crust:
3/4 cup granola (no raisins or other dried fruit)
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (from about 6 whole graham crackers)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons sugar

Baked Layer:
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh Key lime juice or lime juice
3 large egg yolks

Chilled Layer:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup fresh Key lime juice or lime juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Sweetened whipped cream

For Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using on/off turns, blend granola in processor until coarsely ground. Transfer granola to medium bowl. Mix in graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Press crumb mixture over bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter deep-dish glass pie dish. Bake until crust is golden brown, about 8 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. Remvoe crust from oven and cool completely.

For Baked Layer: Whisk condensed milk, lime juice, and egg yolks in medium bowl to blend. Pour into pie crust. Bake until custard is set, about 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature.

For Chilled Layer: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, condensed milk, lime juice, sugar, and vanilla in large bowl. Pour over cooled baked layer; smooth top. Cover and chill until firm at least 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated).

Pipe sweetened whipped cream decoratively around edges of pie. Cut into wedges and serve.

http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/t/42037.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%