Tier Question For Wedding Cake

Decorating By pastryqueen9 Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 1:29pm by pastryqueen9

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 11:54am
post #1 of 6

I am doing a wedding cake for my co-worker (my second one ever by the way...YIKES!!) I want to do 8", 10", and 12" inch round tiers but I was told never do tiers that are 2 inches apart for a wedding cake. Is this an accurate recommendation for a wedding cake? If so why? The design is pretty simple quilting on each tier with satin ribbon on the base of each and dragees placed at each intersecting point. Shouldn't I be able to do 12, 10, and 8 inch tiers?

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 6

I do a fair number of cakes with 2" diameter differences. In fact a few years ago, that style was all the rage. Referred to as "tower" style.

My caution with your plan is with an 8" top. IMO it looks too big. The standard size is 6" . Commercial toppers are automatically sized to fit a 6" topper and if a florist is creating a floral topper for the cake s/he will expect it to be 6" in diameter.

pastryqueen9 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your response leah_s. I was thinking that the 8" might be to big for the top but I was also thinking that the 6" might look awkward. Will a 6" look ok on top of a 12 and 10 inch? Do you have any pics of cakes with these dimensions in your profile?

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 6

Yes a 6 might look a little strange because of the other tier. You could do a 7 and it will look fine.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 6

I would do a 6, 9, 12 - depending upon how many servings you need.

pastryqueen9 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Occther and leepat. I have already done the majority of the baking all that's left to bake is the top tier. I think I will go with the 7" top. Now I'm off to the store to see if I can find 7" pans....Thanks Again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%