Whole Wheat Flour Only Cake

Baking By addiejane03 Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 6:32pm by FromScratchSF

addiejane03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addiejane03 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:33am
post #1 of 6

I have a request for a cake using ONLY whole wheat flour. I've found a few carrots on CC but was wondering if there were any other flavors that have been tried. I guess with the 'nuttiness' of WWF that it should be some kind of spice cake but i hate to say carrot is your only option.

thanks for you help!

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:24am
post #2 of 6
Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 6

I have never baked a cake with WWF but I have baked other things with pretty good results. But only use Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, of course.

Maybe just test bake (if you have time) so you get a feeling of how it works. thumbs_up.gif

addiejane03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addiejane03 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for your input. In my search this morning I found that decedent chocolate recipe and I have a pumpkin spice that I may try. Not being medically inclined I'm confused by the ability to consume whole wheat flour but not regular flour. It must not be a 'wheat' thing.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 6

KAF also makes a light whole wheat flour from winter wheat. It may help to lighten the flavor. Although it is still recommended for stronger flavors.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 6

By just subbing the flour, you aren't going to be able to get a cake texture using whole wheat pastry flour, the exception being the very dense torte that Jan posted... it's dense because of the type of flour used. If you want actual cake texture you can use unbleached cake flour or unbleached all purpose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%