Help With Cake Baking

Decorating By stephanie22 Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 7:31pm by stephanie22

stephanie22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie22 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 8

Hey yall im new to the whole themed cake decorating and such.
i happen to be very good at the decorating part with fondant and all that, but im having an issue with the actual baking of the cakes, i ususally start a cake 1 day sometimes 2 before then event, as some decorating take much longer than otherrs, but im wondering how do i store these cakes in the meantime, since i do it part time mostly when i come home from work ill usually bake the cake one night then ice it the next then decorate it right after BC hardens up a bit.. when the cake is baked should i store it in freezer,fridge, or out? wrapped up in saran wrap or in a cake cover in room temperature, i just wanted some help on what to do from the moment the cake is baked up till its time to frost and cover the cake !!
pls help icon_smile.gif thanks

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 8

When my cake isn't iced I just wrap the layers in plastic wrap, usually two to three layers and leave them out on the cabinet.

SRMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRMC Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:09am
post #3 of 8

yup I do that too

stephanie22 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:06am
post #4 of 8

Thanks i just wasnt sure beause i thought leaving them out they would dry right up . I appreciate you taking the Time to answer!

SRMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRMC Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 8

I read recently too if you put a piece of bread by the cake and put it in a container or one of those cake carriers it keeps it moist

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 8

Bake, cool somewhat, wrap in 2 layers of press and seal (if it is going to stay in the freezer for more than a couple of days, do a third wrap with aluminum foil.), shove in freezer- pull out 1 hr. before decorating.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 8

The freezer is really your friend here. It will absolutely prevent moisture loss and arrest the whole staling process. The only thing you need to do is wrap your cake thoroughly before freezing.

Also, knowing about condensation will save you many more posts. Condensation will form right at he surface where cold meets warm in a humid(however slightly) environment.

By allowing your cakes to come to temp BEFORE you unwrap, keeps the condensation on the plastic wrap and not on your cake. That moisture can be a problem for decorating and a breeding ground for pathogens.

stephanie22 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much you've been a great help!! I've been freezing them so I guess I was doing it right all along just when I freeze multiple cakes for layering when I un wrap thyve taking the form of how tight I wrapped it so round and square cakes won't match each other so I just trim the sides to make it equal which is why I wasn't sure if freezing was the way to go thanks alot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%