Attaching Real Flowers On Top Of Cake?

Decorating By KieslerKakes Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 2:05am by SRMC

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a cake in a couple of weeks and the person wants a bouquet of real flowers on the top layer. How do you attach the flowers to the top of the cake, do you trim down the stems, how does the bouquet stay together? Many questions, help!

6 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 7

If it a topper you can purchase floral holders specifically for cake tops, use a small vase of some kind or make your own floral holder...It should be able to hold a piece of wet oasis easily, tightly and water tight.. Cut your flower stems accordingly.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 7

If it a topper, you can purchase floral holders specifically for cake tops, use a small vase of some kind or make your own floral holder...It should be able to hold a piece of wet oasis easily, tightly and water tight.. Cut and arrange your flower stems accordingly Hope this helps.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 7

First, the florist who is doing the wedding should prepare the cake topper for you. They will place it in an igloo (small containers that pretty much every florist uses) or make a small hand-tied bouquet with the stems wrapped that you can plunge into the top of the cake.

lauradora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauradora Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 7

An idea you might find helpful: If you decide to put real flowers on the top of the cake by yourself, but they aren't laying correctly or your worried about breaking the stems if you try to adjust them; i just learnt a trick for this! If you take the flower and push a piece of wire carefully up the stem, it will allow you to make your flower more bendable and be able to hold it's shape =)

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 7

IF you are not experienced with arranging fresh flowers.... I say make your life a little easier by letting the florist do the top piece for you. If you give them the height and width you want, they should do a wonderful job for you.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

SRMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRMC Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:05am
post #7 of 7

if its an actual bouquet that ure plopping into the middle of the cake then I would wrap the stems in plastic wrap to ensure they dont seep into the cake. And yes cut the stems to the appropriate sixze, also if youre putting them into the cake individually use the stem holders from the cake store, (as they can hold water in them and they keep each flower fresh) and peg em into the cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%