Ice Road Trucking Cake

Decorating By suzylynn58 Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 10:48pm by SammieB

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 7

I have an order for a sheet cake with this theme. The client is providing the trucks, but need ideas on making the cake look "icy". Thanks!

6 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,
Can you use isomalt or melted sugar? You could make a sheet of "sugar glass" for the top of the cake, and tap it lightly with a small hammer or a spoon to make a look like a sheet of ice thats creaking a bit.

Hope this helps! good luck! icon_smile.gif

Edit: I found this cake on the CC website, they used isomalt for this,
https://cakecentral.com/gallery/1685974

Edit again! : You could make the cake white, with a light airbrushing of blue, and then spray it with edible sparkle or shimmer spray, so its sparkly looking like ice!

suzylynn58 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, I love the look of the one with the "ice" around the edges, however, I don't have any isomalt and live in a small town so no chance of getting any before next week. Can you do this with regular sugar, or does it turn dark?

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 7

Hi,
I believe plain sugar will go brown icon_sad.gif and the isomalt goes clear, but you can't get it........hmmmmm.............

I just had an idea! icon_smile.gif I've seen recipes for biscuits called "Stained glass window biscuits" I don't know if you've heard of them, its basically a biscuit with a shape cut out of the middle and the "stained glass effect" is made by melting boiled sweets! It would be so cool if you could maybe get a bag of CLEAR boiled/hard sweets and melt them into like "puddles" of ice, or a sheet of ice on a baking tray, this is the recipe for the biscuits, maybe you could use the bit of the recipe about the sweets,

suzylynn58 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 7

I watched the video! Cool cake! I think I'm going to go with the airbrushed look and maybe some clear sanding sugar. It's just a simple sheet, so don't want to much labor. But I do want it to be cute!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 7

You could do use regular sugar for that bubble sugar effect. We used it in the pulled sugar class I did just fine. It's not quite as stable in humidity as isomalt, but you pour it the same way. One of the suggestions in class for a nice ice look was to line a sheet cake pan or cookie sheet with scrunched aluminum foil and spray it generously with oil (canola or vegetable). Then you pour your melted sugar over it, let it harden and peel away the foil.

This same effect was used to make this bowl, and believe me, I am trying it soon!

http://pieofthetiger.com/2009/04/sugar-work-lesson-1-casting-sugar/

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 7

I've also got a recipe for the sugar that doesn't use glucose if you don't have it on hand. My recipe uses sugar, water, cream of tartar, and lemon juice I think (I'd have to hunt it down to be sure, but it should just be things most people would have on hand). If you're interested, msg me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%