How Do I Transport My Cake Of 2 Layers? Newbie Needs Help!

Decorating By Giggggles Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 12:20pm by mayo2222

Giggggles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Giggggles Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 11:21am
post #1 of 5

As you may have guessed, I'm VERY new to this whole cake thang.

Anyway, I've been asked to do 2 tier cake, one cake on top of the other - BUT.... do I transport it as one cake?

If so - do I use buttercream or edible glue or something to stick the top layer to the 2nd?

OR.. do I transport them as 2 separate tiers and then put them together once arrived???

OHHH Also.... my dowls have not been delivered yet.. panic.. so is there something else that I can use instead?

Many thanks
Gigggles xxx
(not so giggly at the moment though.. slightly panicked!)

4 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 11:33am
post #2 of 5

If your doing fondant then a little butttercream under the top tier would work fine.make sure you use supports and a center dowel and it will travel fine on a level surface. put in a box drive cautiously no fast curves no quick stops.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 5

Hopefully you ordered the SPS system for support. If so, just follow the instruction in the Sticky and when the cake is completed, just pick it up, set it on a flat and level surface (with some non-skid material underneath) and go. You can drive normally.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 5

If you have thick straws you can use them instead of dowels. some one here suggested "bubble tea" straws and i have used them for two tier cakes. my last two tier cake was transported by the customer in the back seat of their car (30minute ride) nothing happened to it. i am almost sure you shouldnt have a problem with a two tier cake. b.c. or royal icing , or ganache to ahere the top to the bottom tier should be fine.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 5

As long as you have correctly supported the 2nd tier then there should be no problem transporting it already stacked. Bubble tea straws are a great substitute for dowels (I actually prefer them) as they are cheap, very easy to cut and don't disperse the cake like dowels

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%