Help Please!! With Gum Paste

Baking By MerlotCook Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 6:52pm by MerlotCook

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make some for Saturday, but cannot find glucose anywhere in town. Is there a substitute for it or a recipe that doesn't take it! Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!

4 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 5

Do you have tylose powder? Here's a recipe using that. I haven't made it before but hear great things about it. I'm planning to make it soon. I've also added tylose to fondant and used that like gumpaste. Works quite well, however it's harder to roll as thin as gumpaste. But it's more forgiving because it doesn't dry quite as fast.

Here's the recipe:

GUMPASTE RECIPE USING TYLOSE (As Nicholas Lodge makes it)
Tylose is an alternative product to use in making gumpaste instead of gum
tragicanth. The advantage of the tylose is that the paste is less expensive,
easier to make, holds up better in humidity and is whiter in color.
The 55 g container makes approx. 3 pounds of finished gumpaste.
The following recipe will make approx. 2 pounds of gumpaste.
INGREDIENTS:
4 large egg whites
2 lb. bag of 10X powdered sugar
12 level teaspoons Tylose (#TP100)
4 teaspoons shortening (Crisco)
1. Place the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl, fitted with the flat paddle.
2. Turn the mixer on high speed for 10 seconds to break up the egg whites.
3. Reserve 2/3 cup of the powdered sugar and set aside.
4. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed, slowly add the remaining sugar. This will make a soft consistency royal icing.
5. Turn up the speed to setting 3 or 4 for about two minutes. During this time measure the tylose in to a small container.
6. Make sure the mixture is at the soft-peak stage. It should look shiny, like meringue and the peaks fall over. (If coloring the entire batch, add the paste
color at this stage, making it a shade darker than the desired color).
7. Turn the mixer to the slow setting and sprinkle the Tylose in over a 5 second time period. Next, turn the speed up to the high setting for a few
seconds. (This will thicken the mixture).
8. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl onto a work surface that has been sprinkles with the reserved 2/3 cup powdered sugar. Place the shortening on
your hands and knead the paste, adding enough of the powdered sugar to form a soft but not sticky dough. Usually I check by pinching with my fingers and they
should come away clean. Place the finished paste in a zip lock bag, then place the bagged pasted dough in a second bag and seal well.
9. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours if possible before use to mature the paste.
10. Before use, remove from the refrigerator and allow the paste to come to room temperature. Take a small amount of shortening on the end of your finger
and knead this into the paste before using.
11. Always store the paste in the zip-top bags and return to the refrigerator when you are not using the paste. Will keep under refrigerator for approx. 6
months. You can keep the paste longer by freezing. Be sure to zip lock closed.
If you will be freezing a batch of paste, allow it to mature for 24 hours in the refrigerator first before placing into the freezer. I have kept the paste in the freezer for up to 3 years with no problems.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 5

Nick Lodge recipe is the best out there. I either use that or wilton premade. love them both.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 5

I use to use only glucose in my gum paste recipe. One day the only thing I had available was corn syrup. I replaced the glucose with corn syrup. I tripled the amount of corn syrup since it is not as thick as the glucose and cut back on the amount of water called for in the recipe. My gum paste looked and performed beautifully. It was the last time I purchased glucose and I have never looked back.

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 5

I can't find Tylose in my dinky town either! I'll go with the corn syrup idea and try that out. I'm also ordering some Tylose just to have it on hand. Thanks for the help all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%