Painting With Paste Colors

Decorating By Karsn Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 1:11pm by Jojoscakes1000

Karsn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karsn Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 8

I really like the color i get when i mix vodka and my ivory/caramel paste color. I used it to make fondant look like wood. But i worn't dry. Why?

7 replies
bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 8

It should dry...did you use more paste color than vodka? This will make it take longer. I've even painted with straight black paste color and it dries, but it takes at least a day for me. The higher the quantity of alcohol, the faster it will dry.

Karsn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karsn Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerliz

It should dry...did you use more paste color than vodka? This will make it take longer. I've even painted with straight black paste color and it dries, but it takes at least a day for me. The higher the quantity of alcohol, the faster it will dry.

Okay. Yeah i used more paste color. Will try with more vodka next time.
I also mixed 50/50 vodka and light corn syrup and brushed it on my deco to give it a shiny look. It looks great, but it's so sticky.. has been for 2 days now. ..and if i touch it it leaves fingerprints.

bakerliz Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 8

I've never tried the corn syrup thing, I don't know if that would dry or not...sorry

Staryberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staryberry Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 8

From my experience, corn syrup can stay sticky like that for weeks.

Jojoscakes1000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jojoscakes1000 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 8

Confectionr's glaze is better. Sorry if this feels like I am hijacking but I was wondering, if you use more vodka won't it be more of a watercolour?
Also I buy sugarflair paste which seems thicker than Americolor gels how would I go about mixing colours?

bakerliz Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 8

More vodka will thin it out and lighten the color, like a watercolor, but it will dry very fast and you will have even less work time than you would with watercolors. It's just a matter of what work best for you application. I've never used sugarflair, but I would assume that as long as you added your vodka slowly, you wouldn't have a problem.

Jojoscakes1000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jojoscakes1000 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks I guess I need some more practice to get my head around iticon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%