Question For Anyone In The Medical Office Field...

Lounge By JaeRodriguez Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 1:46pm by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 5

I am currently doing Medical Transcription, but with the precarious job situation I have decided to get my Coding certificate as well. The school used to require you to take a class "Electronic Medical Records" to get your certification but no longer requires it.

My question is, should I go ahead and take it? Will it look better on my resume, give me an edge? It's a $319 class and I am using loans to pay for school as it is but if it will give me an edge I think it would be worth it.

My background: Never worked in an office, Just completed my transcription certificate and have been a transcriptionist since March from home, planning on working full time once the kids are in school whether this means transcription/coding from home or in house.

Thank's y'all! Have a great day!

4 replies
Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 5

I am a receptionist in a medical office, but I work for a doctor that will only go to electronic medical records if it becomes absolutely mandatory. But honestly, most offices are going in that direction, and I do know that sometime in the future, doctors will receive lesser payments from some insurances if their office does not go electronic. If you take the class, you will be up-to-date on the latest information and I think it could only benefit you.

JaeRodriguez Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you Crazyforcupcakes!

A lot of the doctors here are going EMR, my transcription teacher's arguement was that every office has a different way of doing their records so they would train me on whatever system they were using, she was saying that I didn't need the class.

I feel the same way as you are saying though, that it would be good to go ahead and get. Just for me $319 is a big deal so I want to make sure it will have some impact on my career or resume! :]

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

A lot of the doctors here are going EMR, my transcription teacher's arguement was that every office has a different way of doing their records so they would train me on whatever system they were using, she was saying that I didn't need the class.

Every office is different -- I work in a medical billing office, and during one of our training sessions, the trainer was saying how one of the dr.'s offices she knows of does not use the computer. at. all. We are very computer based (though not completely).

It is true that where ever you get a job, they will train you on their system, but if you already have experience and knowledge of that system, I think it would give you more of an advantage. Do they want to hire someone that has a working knowledge or someone who has never used it? It depends, but I don't think it could hurt icon_smile.gif

JaeRodriguez Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys! I'm a little heartbroken that transcription is disappearing (supposedly) because I love doing it! I started it because I wanted to be a stay at home mom but still have an income and this was the only thing I could find. I LOVE doing it!

I hope that it will stick around until my kids are in school and then I don't mind working in office with regular hours and that is what I'm preparing for with my billing and coding classes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%