Freezing Fondant

Decorating By karengary1991 Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 2:42pm by karengary1991

karengary1991 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karengary1991 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 11:18am
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if you can freeze fondant or gumpaste ??

4 replies
saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 5

First, I want to state that I am only a hobby baker; that being said, I always freeze my fondant and gumpaste. I pull it out of the freezer a day or two before I need it and let it defrost on the counter. When the fondant is frozen for a few months, I have noticed no difference in how it tastes or performs. I use fondant for decorations only; I do not cover cakes in it since my family does not care for it. I have fondant in my freezer from over a year ago; however, I will only use that to cover cakeboards or for flowers.

HTH

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 5

I'm also s hobby baker but I'd say yes. Iv never frozen fondant on it's own, but as long as its wrapped well so the condensation forms on the outside of the cling film/foil. I have frozen a fondant covered cake this way and it came out fine.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 5

You can freeze fondant and gumpaste with no problem (as long as it's well wrapped, as jennifer cullen noted). But you don't need to do it unless you want to store it for a very long time - 4-6 months or longer. If it's wrapped properly, it will keep at room temp for a really long time. The thing you shouldn't do is keep it in the fridge, because it can get slimy.

karengary1991 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karengary1991 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 5

Ok heres my problem. I have a friend that really wants me to do her daughter cupcakes and a small 2 tier cake for her wedding coming up in september, but I'm leaving a week before the wedding for vaction. She wants to freeze them since it will only be for a week. I work with gumpaste all the time but I have never frozen the flowers before. Will they wilt / melt after taking them out of the freezer ? Each cupcake will have a gumpaste daisy on it and the 2 tier cake will also have gumpaste daisies. I have come up with another idea that I have not tried either. I have thought about putting royal icing daisies on the cupcakes and making up the daisy flowers in gumpaste in bouquets to be put on the 2 tier cake. I could draw her a diagram of where the bouquets are to be placed. I'm thinking that the second idea would be better. Any advice would be great !!! Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%