Help With Layering Cakes..please!!

Decorating By LindzerBee Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 6:25pm by fondantgrl

LindzerBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindzerBee Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:39am
post #1 of 6

I am new to fondant decorating and noticed that on some of my cakes that I fill with frosting, the frosting pushes out of the layers underneath the fondant and a sort of ripple effect is visible. It isn't apparent right away, but usually happens after the cake sits overnight. I do the frosting "border" before filling in the entire layer. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Is the frosting too thin maybe?

I tried uploading a picture to make what I'm saying clearer, but the uploading feature doesn't seem to be working. I will come back and try again tomorrow, but any help in the mean time is greatly appreciated!!

5 replies
Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:57am
post #2 of 6

You need to allow your cakes to settle longer so they don't "smish" with the weight of the fondant and the pressure you use applying the fondant. When I have the top layer of cake on, I either give it a good press with my hand, or lay a cardboard over the top and press. Then I crumb coat and set aside or refrigerate.

I also never use a soft filling with my fondant covered cakes. If it is so soft that it must be refrigerated to keep it in place then I don't put fondant on it, just buttercream.

Tami icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:59am
post #3 of 6

There are several reasons this might happen.
1) you might be using too much filling
2) your dam icing isn't stiff enough
3) You should gently but firmly press down on the top layer once it is filled so the two join. Some people go so far as to weight it down w/something like a heavy plate, letting it sit overnight. In a busy shop there is no time for that! Any frosting that does push out can be spread around/scraped off before adding your final icing.
As for uploading the picture you have to 1st put it in your gallery or on the internet someplace like PhotoBucket, then give us the link to it.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 2:03am
post #4 of 6

You should have a thick dam to hold the filling. I like mine thick enough that I can literally roll it in between my hands into a ball (that's how I know when my bc is the right consistency for my dam). Be sure when you torte, you do it evenly and replace the layers correctly. Also, you need to allow your cake to set. I fill and crumb coat my cakes, allow to crust, apply a coat of saran wrap then they sit with a book or tile atop for a few hours or preferably overnight. Never put fondant on a freshly filled cake. It will settle and leave lines, dropping sides or worse icon_sad.gif
Good luck icon_smile.gif

LindzerBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindzerBee Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for the tips and suggestions! I will make sure to use them for my next cake.

And thank you kakeladi for the help with picture uploading.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 6

don't put too much filling and make sure it goes at least an inch away from the edge inwards..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%