Scratch Strawberry Cake Recipe Needed

Baking By augurey Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 8:36pm by SweetSuzieQ

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have a good scratch strawberry cake recipe?

I've come across two on here that I'm considering:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15348/summers-scratch-strawberry-cake

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1789/strawberry-cake-from-scratch

But I'm not 100% sure on which one I'd like to try.

I also wanted to see if anyone else had any others that I could possibly try out. After searching on here, the two I listed above are really the only ones I could find. Everything I found through google is a doctored cake mix.

TIA!

ETA: When strawberry puree is called for (which I'm guessing will be in every recipe), do you use frozen unsweetened or unsweetened? I'm unfamiliar with puree and any additional information for a first time attempt would be great icon_smile.gif

4 replies
SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 5

This is a really great strawberry cupcake recipe but, don't see why you can't bake it as a cake. In season. I use fresh and out of season I use frozen.

Ingredients
2/3 cup fresh or frozen whole strawberries (thawed if frozen)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , sifted
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
1/4 cup whole milk , room temperature
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter , room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg , room temperature
2 large egg whites , room temperature
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.

Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree. Add a few more strawberries if necessary, or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla and strawberry puree; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.

With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.

Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.

sunnyca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnyca Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 5

I've used this recipe and it worked out pretty good. I made the cupcakes but should be fine as a cake too.

http://www.marthastewart.com/258957/sprinkles-strawberry-cupcakes

Edited to add that I increase the strawberries a little and add a drop of pink food color to get a little more pink.

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much SweetSuzieQ and sunnyca!

Actually, upon further planning of this cake (after posting), I am now considering cupcakes. We're going camping on my SIL's 30th birthday (and are celebrating then) and would think just enough cupcakes would be much simpler for a camping environment as having to do a cake (and transporting 2 hours there and left overs for them 2 hours back), cut a cake (and serve), and store the remaining of the cake -- it's possible, but I'm thinking much less hassle!

I do have a couple of questions on the recipe.

Sifting: Is it 1 1/2 cups of sifted flour or do you measure 1 1/2 cups, then sift? I always get confused on this.

Course Salt: Would this be your regular table salt or is there something special actually labeled course salt?

Strawberries: If fresh, do you add anything before pureeing in the food processor? And for frozen/thawed strawberries, do you use unsweetened? Also if using frozen/thawed, do you use any of the juices when pureeing?

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 5

Unless the recipe specifies, I always measure and then sift. I add all my dry into my sifter and do it all at once. I use Kosher salt cuz that is what I have on hand. And, when puree, for fresh, just the berries and frozen, I would add the berries and juice. Unsweetened for sure otherwise there would be too much siugar imho!

I also just realized (since I just got done making a batch, I add more than the 1/3rd cup of strawberries to add a bit more flavor, 1 do 1/3 cup and then about another half of 1/3 cup. I was also half tempted to try coconut milk on place of the milk when I was working but, didn't want to risk oit not being good so, I'll have to try a test batch this week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%