Cake Pop Question

Baking By Sheri_e Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 6:47pm by Sheri_e

Sheri_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sheri_e Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 6

I haven't tried cake pops yet...but was wondering if you can cover in anything besides chocolate or fondant. Has anyone tried covering in buttercream? I am pretty new to the whole cake decorating thing, so not sure what would happen...

5 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,
Yeah you can cover them in buttercream, just like you can cover cakes in buttercream, but because they are like a lollipop on the stick people tend you use chocolate or fondant because its like a hard, non sticky outer coating.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Sheri_e Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 6

so would i thin it down so you can still dip it? I was just trying to figure out a way to do these without going to the store icon_smile.gif Thank you so much for your reply!

JamAndButtercream Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 10:44am
post #4 of 6

Hi,
I think its just a case of trial and error, you could try it thined down, but if you were going to make cake pops with a buttercream coating on the outside, you should probably have a glass or mug ready to be able to stand them in because the buttercream won't go really solid like chocolate, and you don't want them to fall over, some people stick them in a block of polystrene or a mug full of sugar so they stand up.

A tried making cake pops a couple of weeks ago and I have learnt from the mistakes with them already!
The recipe I used was cake crumbs, butter & white choc for the inside mixture and milk choc to coat them. This is what I learnt,
1. The mixture inside was a bit greasy, next time less butter and more white choc.
2. The balls were too big, they were top heavy, seriously they were like golf balls! icon_lol.gif
3. When I tried to coat them after they had been in the fridge, they were turning around on the stick, so next time I'm using lollipop sticks and sticking the stick into the ball with a little white chocolate so the ball sets solid on the stick and won't turn.

Hope this helps! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

JamAndButtercream Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 10:47am
post #5 of 6
Sheri_e Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 6

My first attempt was mostly a flop...they tasted good, but the pop kept falling apart on the stick. Not sure what i did wrong...will get gutsy again and try again. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%