How Much To Charge For A Shoebox,cell Phone $ Handbag Cake

Decorating By anncakes Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 4:02am by anncakes

anncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anncakes Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:59am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone....I've got an order for a shoebox cake with a shoe,a cell phone and a mini handbag with it.The cake should serve 25 people. Can you tell me how much you would charge for such a cake?....thank you..

5 replies
toneg24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toneg24 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 1:16am
post #2 of 6

Hello, first off let me say good luck and suggest that the only part that should be cake is the shoe box and maybe shoe, depending on style of shoe. If it is only 25 servings, I would suggest charging at least $3 per serving if not $4. This will all depend on your level of decorating also. If you are new and inexperienced, you will have to put some practice time in and you really can't charge for that (wouldn't it be nice, though?) You are probably looking at using gumpaste and rice krispies which will put your supply cost up. The area you are in also can influence your price.

Maybe you could look for a simular cake on here and message that person on what they charged?

anncakes Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks...icon_smile.gif...the shoe n cell phone are gumpaste....n the handbag a small cake..maybe a 6" one.....

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 6

For carved and sculpted cakes a per-serving price doesn't really work, since most of the cost will be the labor required to do the sculpting and the details.

Just throwing out some numbers here, let's say this order uses $30 of ingredients and takes 6 hours to complete, and your overhead costs are $1000/year (insurance, license fees, utilities, etc) with 50 orders per year. If your time is valued at $15/hour, the cost for this order would be $30 + $90 ($15 * 6 hours) + $20 ($1000 / 50 orders) = $140. Adding a 25% profit margin the price would be $175.

If you live in a state that requires a commercial kitchen to sell food you would need to include the rent in your cost, so if rent was $15/hour the resulting cost would be $230 and the price would be $288.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 6

can you post a picture ?

anncakes Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:02am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everybody!!![/code]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%