How Do I Keep Royal Icing From Running On A Buttercream Cake

Decorating By Nikki1083 Updated 22 May 2013 , 8:53pm by BeesKnees578

Nikki1083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki1083 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:11am
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake coming up with white buttercream and black royal icing damask print that I have to do. When I did my practice cake I noticed that the royal icing started to run down the cake once the cake was removed from the refrigerator. How do I keep this from happening on a warm day? The icing was a nice consistency and did dry but once placed into the fridge it melted when I took it out.

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:53am
post #2 of 5

I really don't recommend putting a BC cake w/ black royal on it into the fridge.

Even fully covered and allowed to come to room temp, I think the probablility of the royal running, or at least developing a pinkish shadow around it, it very high.

I suggest using shelf stable BC and fillings so that the refrigerator isn't necessary.

JMHO
Rae

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:15am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I really don't recommend putting a BC cake w/ black royal on it into the fridge.

Even fully covered and allowed to come to room temp, I think the probablility of the royal running, or at least developing a pinkish shadow around it, it very high.

I suggest using shelf stable BC and fillings so that the refrigerator isn't necessary.

JMHO
Rae

She is right
Edna icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:21am
post #4 of 5

Moisture causes RI to break down.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 May 2013 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 5

Would black buttercream on white buttercream be OK in the fridge?  One other poster on another thread said yes, it's fine.

I have a black damask on white BC cake this weekend.  I was going to stencil, but I am thinking I'm going to hand pipe, using the stencil and a toothpick as my guide.  I rarely get the opportunity to do piping and it's always made me very nervous.  I think practice is in order.  My cake from last weekend was white on white piped swirls and it came out pretty good, but still needing practice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%