post #1 of 24

is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

23 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:39am
post #2 of 24

three wedding cakes + a gfroom's cake for me. Finishing up the last two tires of cakes 1 and 2. Then on to the groom's cake.

Last cake is staring at me.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:41am
post #3 of 24

Greetings from the Left Coast. Hope everyone out East is safe & dry while Irene rages through.

I have a super simple project going tonight inspired by this:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2131131

We have a family "party" tomorrow for my 4YO niece. We are getting together at John's Incredible Pizza for lunch and games/rides. A very small group so I'm doing a 4in cake & a dozen cupcakes. I'm softening the colors to a lighter green & pastel flowers w/sparkly fondant butterflies. My niece is super girlie.

Cake is done and waiting on flowers, etc. Cupcakes came out of the freezer before dinner and should be good to go for frosting once I finish eating (mmmmm carne asade!)

How's everyone else tonight?

Kristy

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:49am
post #4 of 24

Two simple orders this week for me. Three dozen cupcakes and a small princess birthday cake due Sunday. I need to bake the cupcakes and crumb coat the cake tonight before I go to bed. The cupcakes will look like ice cream sundaes!

Have a great weekend!

Michelle

vkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vkat Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:51am
post #5 of 24

50th wedding anniversary cake for my girlfriends parents. I haven't covered a cake in fondant for awhile. A bit nervous. The 8" shouldn't be a problem. I am worried about the 12". Have never worked with a cake this big yet. YIKES! I will put on all the flowers and stack at her house tomorrow before the party. I have to travel an hour so I don't want to take any chances. Enough procrastinating, here goes nothing. Wish me luck. icon_biggrin.gif

singhscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singhscakes Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:56am
post #6 of 24

First time in the friday night club.

I only work every other friday at a local cake shop and today I fondanted one three tier wedding cake, decorated a dozen spider web cupcakes, and 3 other birthday cakes. As well as make some butterflies and flowers for some other wedding cakes.

leah_s Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:59am
post #7 of 24

Sending good thoughts for safe passage thru Hurricane Irene for all our cakers on the east coast.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:02am
post #8 of 24

Just keeping up with the updates on Irene...I have a lot of family and friends in those areas!

vkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vkat Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:49am
post #9 of 24

Well, I did it!! Got both my 8 and 12 covered in fondant. Wasn't as hard as I thought. Kinda proud of myself thumbs_up.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:38am
post #10 of 24

HI Everyone!

Only one cake this weekend. My grandaughter turned 2 recently so I got to make her cake for the family party! She's Mickey Mouse crazy right now so that's the theme I went with. The cake is finished and in my albums here and I'm SOOOOO proud of it! The Mickey Ears on the top of the cake is an actual "hat" made of fondant! I was thrilled that it turned out as good as it did!

I also made the 14 favors for the party. Choco chip marshmallow and MnM bars. We made the decision not to go the candy route for this party because they did the pinata for the "kids" party a week ago so we decided to go the cookie bar route instead and let the adults have a treat to take home too.

Watching the news avidly to see how things work out with the hurricane...we have a lot of family/friends along that seaboard that we are pretty worried about!

Cat

catlharper Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:39am
post #11 of 24

HI Everyone!

Only one cake this weekend. My grandaughter turned 2 recently so I got to make her cake for the family party! She's Mickey Mouse crazy right now so that's the theme I went with. The cake is finished and in my albums here and I'm SOOOOO proud of it! The Mickey Ears on the top of the cake is an actual "hat" made of fondant! I was thrilled that it turned out as good as it did!

I also made the 14 favors for the party. Choco chip marshmallow and MnM bars. We made the decision not to go the candy route for this party because they did the pinata for the "kids" party a week ago so we decided to go the cookie bar route instead and let the adults have a treat to take home too.

Watching the news avidly to see how things work out with the hurricane...we have a lot of family/friends along that seaboard that we are pretty worried about!

Cat

KJ62798 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:40am
post #12 of 24

VKat--Congrats on a successful fondant night. Always scary covering those big cakes.

Done with my niece's cake for tomorrow. Reasonably happy with it overall. Not super thrilled with the bodies on my butterflies. Here's a peek if you are interested:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2137599

Finally uploaded last weekend's baseball cake. My friend, her SO and the birthday boy could not have been happier. So much fun to do a cake for a kid who gets excited for it. Here it is:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2137595

Hope everyone continues to have a good night. Stay safe East Coasters.

Kristy

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:40am
post #13 of 24

My Friday night isn't really cake related but I just got back from the Colorado State Fair where my Hazelnut Mocha Custard won 2nd place in the Ghirardelli Chocolate Championship! This was my first ever tasting competition so I was pretty excited! Prizes were $50, a FABULOUS Ghirardelli gift basket, a Ghirardelli apron and a fancy red ribbon. icon_biggrin.gif

What a nerve wracking experience to watch judges (including the Ghirardelli NATIONAL Champion) scrutinize your recipe and presentation, and taste your dessert!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106564279404985.10273.100001542403642#!/photo.php?fbid=207288579332554&set=a.106564279404985.10273.100001542403642&type=1&theater

Next Friday...C & H Sugar Cupcake Challenge!

KJ62798 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:43am
post #14 of 24

WOOOHOOO! Way to go Elcee. Those look amazingly yummy.

Kristy

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:51am
post #15 of 24

I'm working on a cake for a baby shower. This was supposed to be an "easy" cake, but I'm agonizing over it. It's my first ever 3-tier and I have to deliver it. I'm definitely stacking it there, but I'm not sure if I should finish decorating it now or when I get there. Opinions welcome! It's a buttercream cake and I am going to do the rose cake from i am baker on the top and bottom tier, but every time I put a tier in the fridge, it smooshes the edge of the cake. So should I put the roses on tonight and hope they don't smoosh or should I wait until I stack it and then add the roses? Any thoughts?

Elcee Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:09am
post #16 of 24

Thanks, Kristy icon_biggrin.gif. I'm about chocolated out. After the contest was over we all shared our entries thumbs_up.gif .

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:36am
post #17 of 24

I am taking a break from my my biggest cake to date ~ its 11 tiers! Not all stacked but several different arrangements. There is a grooms cake too. I am absolutely exhausted though. I am the events coordinator at a country club. Tonight we had a golf event and set up everything up for the wedding tomorrow. Besides regular work this week, I finished my cake studio! I have a fully functioning cake kitchen completely designed by me! My boyfriend and I did as much of the work as we could to save funds. The plumbers finished the very last thing this afternoon - adding the faucet to the 3 basin sink. I am so happy to finally have my space!

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:04am
post #18 of 24

Wow, 11 tiers! You put my 3 tiers to shame. icon_smile.gif

catlharper Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:37am
post #19 of 24

I want LIKE buttons here too!LOL! 11 tiers, Holy Cow! BRAVE! And winning anything in a State Fair is just SO uplifting and validating! Congrats!

Cat

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:39am
post #20 of 24

I'm so excited, this is the first time I've ever posted to Friday Night Cake Club. I read it though every week and wonder how you guys do it. Getting multiple wedding plus cupcakes plus grooms cakes and b-day cakes. It amazes me.

I making a barrel/bucket cake filled with sugar beer bottles and ice. Had some trouble with the bottles last night but think I got it figured out. I'll pour one more in the morning. It's for my best friend's BF's 40th bday. Day of wine tasting through the valley then bocce ball. I have to deliver it (I feel so professional) before wine tasting because we can't carry it with us in the limo. It'll be 95 out here tomorrow. So far so good. I'm pretty happy with it. I just hope my wood slats don't slide off (slipping a little already).

Then for Sunday, I'm making my 1st (well 2nd really...I don't count the 1st) wedding cake for a friend. Just a small gathering at their house on Sunday. Of course, I had to make it more elaborate than expected. Hope I can pull it off. 3 tiers (10, 8 & 6) with a 2" spacer between 8 & 6. It's an outside wedding and it's hot so I think I'll skip the cream cheese for the RV. It's my gift to them and they gave me free reign.

BTW jenng1482....11 tears. I'll bow down right now. Impressive.

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:42am
post #21 of 24

Last minute birthday cake for my brother's 30th birthday. Ready to go to bed now. Frosting everywhere. icon_smile.gif

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 7:33am
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

Wow, 11 tiers! You put my 3 tiers to shame. icon_smile.gif

It took for...ever to torte and fill them all! I will have to finish in the morning. I think/hope i have time.

Here is the cake they wanted
http://www.cooperbakery.com/ .

Here is the cake I talked them into http://weddingnuance.com/2011/02/wedding-cakes-gallery-with-fountains/fountains-wedding-cake-2/

Can anyone tell which tip for sure the the lines are piped with?

The grooms cake is a replica of the mailbox from the movie "Up"

I just finished a "minute to win it" themed bday cake i took for tomorrow too by mistake.

leah_s Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 11:51am
post #23 of 24

That cake uses the Lily of the Valley tip. It's the 81.

Elcee Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:42pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

Here is the cake they wanted
http://www.cooperbakery.com/ .

Here is the cake I talked them into http://weddingnuance.com/2011/02/wedding-cakes-gallery-with-fountains/fountains-wedding-cake-2/

I know I'm late but it must still be Friday night somewhere, right? Jenng1482, great job talking them into the 2nd cake...it's beautiful and so much more stylish icon_smile.gif and up to date. Congrats on your cake studio!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%