Non-Wilton Lesson Plan

Decorating By jjcakes Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 9:14pm by Apti

jjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjcakes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 5:45am
post #1 of 4

I live in a pretty remote area and am unable to teach Wilton because there are no stores that carry their product line. I am still planning on teaching but am feeling a bit lazy and wanted to see if anyone else sold lesson plans for cake decorating? Any ideas? I mean I have ideas for what to do but just want it all laid out for me and the materials for printing etc.

3 replies
FiveAlarmBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FiveAlarmBakery Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 12:01am
post #2 of 4

I dont have anything made up currently, but a couple years ago, I wrote out a "two day advanced course" for some friends who had taken the Wilton Courses, but got bored after the last one and wanted "more". So I researched through different methods and books I'd gotten off of ebay and in used books stores. Then I put together some information beyond Wilton's last course.

You don't have to get crazy with it, and maybe it changes from week to week. Like, start out the first week with a couple students at where ever youre holding the classes, and ask them what they want to learn, or what questions they have. Or ask them before the first class, so you can set something up, and then work from there. The two day thing was just something I wrote out on a couple sheets of notebook paper, and made copies. Then I copied a couple sample pictures of each technique and made little packets. They thought it was great, and the two days were super fun! A group of four women came to my house for 3 hours each day. They brought their decorating products with them, but I also had little packages of stuff for them to take with them too.

If I had a spare packet, I'd send it your way, but I'm sorry, after two moves, I didn't hold onto one.

Hope that gives you kind of an idea of where you start (or just to know that it can be done! You can do it!!). Happy Teaching!

jjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjcakes Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 4

THanks so much for your response FiveAlarm, I missed it until today! Those are great ideas. I need to quit being lazy and just get on writing something up! Thank You!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 4

jjcakes--There is a generic (non-wilton) series online by Sandy Shepherd that talks about basic cake decorating using existing kitchen tools and stating generic needs for other stuff like piping bags, tips. etc. Since you obviously have a computer, perhaps you could start the class outline to conform to the video.

You could show the video to your students, then elaborate and let them do the "hands on" after your demo.

Here's the series:

As for the other stuff, I'd simply follow the Wilton course guide utilizing the basic tools to show the basic cake decorating techniques.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%