Re-Iced Cake "wedding Planner" Turned Decorator

Lounge By FiveAlarmBakery Updated 6 Sep 2011 , 1:08am by QTCakes1

FiveAlarmBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FiveAlarmBakery Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:21am
post #1 of 21

Yes Folks.... welcome to the Cake Soap Drama that unfolded over on "cake decorating" under the title, "Customer Re-Iced Cake"... but has now turned to "The Lounge" for updates, because it's not even about cake decorating anymore.

So, last we hear, the "Wedding Planner" Jasmine had gotten someone to help her re-ice the cake I made that she let melt "on accident" in her house.

Now, today, we found out that she's gone from "wedding planner" to cake decorator in the matter of a week. She is officially taking orders for children's cupcakes, and telling people that she's willing to start decorating birthday cakes as well, to go along with her wedding planning.

Now listen, I used to be a Wilton teacher (a lot of you have been or still are), so I understand the joy of teaching others how to cake decorate, and I am ALL FOR people learning to decorate.

However, this now starts to make me think that she didn't have anyone help her re-ice anything, she did it herself. Or maybe because of her "assistance in melting and re-icing" said cake, she now fancies herself a decorator... either way, I'm confused and befuddled.

Also....

I got a new job. I put my two weeks notice in today. They were a little upset and heartbroken because they were losing a "good person" but they said if I had to move on, I had to move on. So on September 8th, I'll no longer be employed by the cosmetics company that brought us all the drama of the Re-iced cake....

However, don't think that the drama stops there my friends. No, no, there will be more cake soap drama to be told, but for now, we're going to see how the next two weeks plays out.

You know, you will all be the first to know if craziness breaks out and things start flying.

Thank you again to everyone who sent support during the re-ice and I hope that this message finds you well!!

Hugs to all and happy decorating!
Aly

20 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:25am
post #2 of 21
Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:23am
post #3 of 21

Sounds like a friend of mine who took a course for a month then thought they knew it all and started taking orders off friends to make cakes and cupcakes and has started to talk about starting up in business after 3 months icon_eek.gif

Good luck to them I say let them find out the hard way icon_lol.gif

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 9:07am
post #4 of 21

OMG you so have to find one of her poor unfortunate customers (when she has got them) and see what the thing looks/tastes like!!

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 21

@davwattie I didn't even do a course, I made 2 cakes and then started taking orders from friends and family, although I have no intention of going into business anytime soon, even though there is one local business just been set up on Facebook who's cakes are worse than mine!

@fivealarm I love how even the narrative has become very soap like..so folks last time we saw this... now what's gonna happen? icon_smile.gif I'm so glad you got at least a snippet of the truth about what happened. I don't know too much about buttercream but if someone brought me a cake I would be following their instructions to the most minute detail as I'd be terrified of ruining it! The thing I don't understand is why she couldn't just tell you the truth, instead of beating around it and making out like it was your fault? All these stories make me nervous about ever making a cake for a wedding lol. I also really hope that your manager (as a now professional caoe decorator) has a similar experience and knows how you felt!

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 21

[quote="jennifercullen"]@davwattie I didn't even do a course, I made 2 cakes and then started taking orders from friends and family, although I have no intention of going into business anytime soon, even though there is one local business just been set up on Facebook who's cakes are worse than mine!

Dont get me wrong Im not saying someone who hasnt done loads of courses shouldnt go into business because Ive never done a decorating course in my life but she even said to me that she cant even cover a cake properly and gets her sister to do it icon_eek.gif

To me covering a cake is the first thing you need to get right if your selling them, plus the fact she goes on facebook showing off her cakes and never gives any credit to the help she is getting to making them look nice.

I love your hulk cake by the way thumbs_up.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 21

fivealarmbakery: Good for you. Jasmine may well have decided that she can decorate cakes and start a business, but she will learn a few things along the way the hard way and you can go to the bank with that. Nothing is ever as cut and dried as we think it is. I made goodies for Christmas last year and gave one to my mail lady and her husband commented that I ought to go in business for myself. They were pretty impressed and that was only my first time making many of the goodies. I was very flattered, but I told her that there was a lot more to going into business for myself then just knowing how to make wonderful goodies. I told her thank you very much for the compliments and I did appreciate them. They of course will be getting more this year. But even if I did want to go into business, there is a lot more time involved than what I want to put in on a full-time basis. I love doing it one time or maybe two times a year, but no way do I want to do it more than that. I am betting that this little venture of hers doesn't last long.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 21

I KNEW that she wasn't a real planner! This is hilarious. Give it a couple of weeks and she'll be tired of doing cakes and will have moved on to designing wedding dresses.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I KNEW that she wasn't a real planner! This is hilarious. Give it a couple of weeks and she'll be tired of doing cakes and will have moved on to designing wedding dresses.

She probably decided to become a planner after she planned her own wedding. These fools are a dime a dozen.

FiveAlarmBakery Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 21

You know, she has people take her picture during her "planning" of their wedding, posts them to facebook, then tags her in them.... so she can get more clients and get her "face out". I'm sorry, but all of us can call a hall and book a day, or help someone figure out a catering contract. But, we don't call ourselves planners, right? RIGHT!

Anyhoo, you guys are hilarious. I love all of the comments. Also, thank you to the moderator for posting the link to the original story!! icon_smile.gif

It really has become a drama, and now I've just found out that she made a bridal shower cake (for the girl I made the wedding cake for). I saw the picture and just thought, "this should be on cake wrecks". Half of it was completely unedible, as it had fabric ribbon, faux flowers, and little plastic embellishments all over it. Oh good gracious.

So, with that being said, I understand now how the gold ribbon came out of the blue. I think she just plucked off my greek keys and wrapped that thing up.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

schustc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schustc Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 12:22am
post #11 of 21

wouldn't it just be too funny, if she found her way out here to Cake Central and stumbled onto this thread? tee hee!! oh to be a fly on the wall icon_biggrin.gif hopefully AFTER you no longer work there icon_smile.gif

FiveAlarmBakery Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 12:35am
post #12 of 21

Oh I'm sure at some point, we'll get to that moment in life.... but for now, we all sit back and enjoy the craziness. Unless you know something I dont know!!! icon_smile.gif

I guess I could have really made it more anonymous by making a seperate screen name, and going through all that mess... but you know what, I'm sorry, I was completely mortified to have a bride tell me that my cake was re-iced, and then to NEVER ONCE have the "wedding planner/cake deliverer" come and tell me about it, or talk to me about. NEVER ONCE.

So, I'm going to go ahead and be upset and spill the beans of the drama to all of my fabulous cake family here on Cake Central. I haven't been able to get online and chat with you all in a while, so here it is, out for everyone to see. icon_smile.gif

Thank you though, for bringing that up. I thought about that a couple days ago. I decided I didn't care.

schustc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schustc Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 12:42am
post #13 of 21

Good for you!!! at some point we just have to wash our hands of it - if she sees so what icon_smile.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:20am
post #14 of 21

If she ever sees this thread I would think she'd be too embarrassed to admit who she is to all of us anyway...I know I would be. lol

BTW, congratulations on your new job!

jennifercullen Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 8:34am
post #15 of 21

Was the bridal shower cake just a photo or was it online? Not that I am into criticizing peoples work, but I for one would love to see it lol.

@davwattie, I don't know how to master the art of quoting on here lol that sounds like fun for her sister! I don't understand how someone even gets into cake decorating if they can't cover a cake haha. And thanks icon_smile.gif All your cakes are really neat. I'm working on that!

jules5000 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 7:52am
post #16 of 21

fivealarmbakery: She would deserve to see the story if she ever got on here. I also am convinced that she would be too embarrassed to admit that that was her that did what she did. What are the chances anyway that she would see it? I mean I honestly don't think that she would anyway, but I think that it would be good for her to see it all. Maybe then she might (i know this would be stretching it)just feel bad about what she did and apologize. Thanks again for sharing your story and yes, while it became a drama it was fun to follow. I mean she probably lost you a lot of business because of what she did so maybe she ought to think about that before she goes and messes with someone's cake. Just admit that she messed up and that she let the cake melt and she owes them the money, and also that you made a beautiful cake. I am sure that she did not do that, but if she ever saw this on here and had any decency to her at all she would go back and make it right with the bride and you. Or at least attempt to. I mean how do you really make something like that up to someone after you have messed up the cake that was their wedding cake or to the person who did the cake, you? YOu really don't or can't, but you can apologize with a sincere heart felt apology to both parties and let it be known that you are the one that screwed up.

FiveAlarmBakery Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 2:32am
post #17 of 21

Small update friends... the Bride is still somewhat upset with me. The last few days of work have been hard working with her because she refuses to talk with me.

I have not asked her about the cake again, or brought it up. She just seems to not want to work around me or be in the same consultation with me.

However, the bride and planner/manager are back to buddy buddy.

Oh well....

.... New work starts in about 14 days. My last day at this job is in 11 days. icon_smile.gif YAY!!!

BTW... thanks for the good conversation, support and just plain fun conclusions! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 12:06pm
post #18 of 21

[quote="FiveAlarmBakery"]Small update friends... the Bride is still somewhat upset with me. The last few days of work have been hard working with her because she refuses to talk with me.

I have not asked her about the cake again, or brought it up. She just seems to not want to work around me or be in the same consultation with me.

However, the bride and planner/manager are back to buddy buddy.

[quote]

Well, the so-called Planner is obviously a good BSer if she talked the dummy into letting her coordinate her wedding. She's no doubt been trashing you to miss dimbulb and making it look like the cake was our fault to deflect the blame. Just be glad that you'll be out of that den of morons soon enough.

jennifercullen Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 8:31pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAlarmBakery

the Bride is still somewhat upset with me. The last few days of work have been hard working with her because she refuses to talk with me

That's terrible. I know when people say its just a cake, everyone on here, myself included usually is horrified lol. But in this cake, I mean case, it was just a cake. Not only was it a cake, she must know that you did a great job on the cake, she must know that you delivered it in tip top condition, and she must know that its not your fault if the person delivering it is not you. A cake that went wrong all because she didn't want to pay the professional to deliver it should not come between a friendship even if you are not that close! I just can't get my head around it, if I ordered a cake from a bakery, and said no I'll drive it there myself, and when I got to my destination it was ruined, I would not never speak to them again, I would blame it on myself. I'm getting more frustrated as I write this message lol

jules5000 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 9:59pm
post #20 of 21

Well, fivealarmbakery: You are just about out of there and will be getting a fresh start soon. Leaving those 2 clowns at the old place. You will have learned what not to do in the future and you will have learned to cover your tail end so you should be good to go. Best of wishes and I hope that you let us all know how the new job is panning out. Hopefully you will be appreciated there and they will see you and your abilities shining through. God bless you with favor as you go forth into the new job.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 1:08am
post #21 of 21

All I could think of when I saw the title of the thread was "SHUT UP"! That chick is a complete loon! And congratulations on the new job! Thank goodness you were able to move on from there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%