Travelling Flowers

Decorating By cakemama22 Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 5:26pm by SarahBeth3

cakemama22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama22 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 5

I have someone asking if I can make flowers or gumpaste decorations for her wedding in the Dominican. They have a 3 hour flight to Georgia and then 3 hours the next day to Dominican. If the airline allows her to take them as a carry-on I'm assuming they would be okay, because she'd be careful with them. But if they have to travel as checked luggage, will they survive the trip? Will they start to soften if they're in an airtight container or will they be fine if they're 100% gumpaste and 100% dry beforehand? Appreciate any insight or advice on this one.

4 replies
SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 5

They can still soften. I wonder if you pack them in something like packing peanuts if that would not only absorb any extra moisture but also keep them from breaking. Of course, they probably aren't exactly food safe! lol But something like that. At the very least you can put paper towels in there, they will keep the flowers from getting soft, maybe wad them up to cushion the flowers also.

cakemama22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama22 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 5

Do you think if I packed them in a cardboard box, packed with crumpled paper towels (for example) and poked lots of holes in the box for circulation and instructed her to open the box as soon as she gets the chance that they would be okay? Obviously I will make sure she understands that there is no way I can guarantee the flowers will make the trip; it's a risk she's taking. Just want the best chance for success on this one.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 5

As long as you give them enough time to dry they should not become soft. My suggestion would be to make extra because of possible breakage on the flight.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 5

I would think that would work. I've never done it before, but I think that's what I would do. Hope it works out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%