Follow Up First Time Fondant Disaster Help

Baking By juliejoyce Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 6:37pm by SweetSuzieQ

juliejoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliejoyce Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 4

So, I posted the other day about trying fondant for the first time and I am back to say, I tried it and it was a complete disaster. I tried the easy peasy marshmallow fondant recipe and followed the directions EXACTLY. My first problem was that I made it in my kitchen aid mixer and a lot of the sugar did not mix in? I took it out of the mixer and then attempted to hand knead in some more sugar to get it to be a bit more stiff, which did seem to work. However, it seemed very dry, and as I was kneading it, it was not sticking to itself. I thought I'd roll it up into a ball, cover in crisco and triple wrap like the directions said, giving it some time to set. I waited it out overnight and took it out today. I first tried to roll it out right out of the wrap, and it was totally crumbling, I then read that I should zap it for a few seconds in the microwave, which I did. This did help a lot, but I was still unable to get a smooth looking piece of fondant. It almost had layers within itself and when I did manage to get it as smooth as I could and put it on the cake, my cake looked like it had acne scars - ha! Gross, I know, but it's the only way I can describe it, like pock marks or something. What on earth did I do wrong? Why wouldn't the marshmallows take more of the powdered sugar? I feel like I was missing some liquid? Any thoughts??? Can I salvage the remainder of the fondant I have now or just throw it out and start again?

3 replies
lilqtangie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilqtangie Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 4

Just start over! I didn't see the other recipe but here's what works for me.
1 bag 16 oz kraft mini marshmellows, 2 T water, microwave about 60 seconds stir, add a few seconds if not melted. I just start with a 2 lb bag of ps and pour half into the bowl and stir, when it absorbs most of the sugar I dump some ps onto counter and knead the ball into it until its the consistency I want, then wrap with saran wrap over night or at least 4 hours. Works every time.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 4

I wish I could help, but I gave up on MMF after about 3 months of using it...now I exclusively use Satin Ice and I will NEVER go back! MMF for me was NEVER consistent, and always gave the cakes a look like the fondant was soft and melting. I also live in a very humid climate so that could ave been the main problem...I just hated the stuff though. I spent more making and remaking it than I do just ordering Satin Ice!

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 4

I think if it is crumbly it may have too much PS. Try slathering your counter with a good amount of shortening and kneeding it so it picks it up and, it may come together for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%