How Many Flavors? How Many Fillings?

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 12:32pm by mystsparkle

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 8

Still searching on the forum to see if this has been answered in the past, but I'll get it out there incase it can help others, like i'm hoping it'll help me!! There are SOOO many recipes out there for different cakes/cupcakes..different fillings..frostings...AHH its so overwhelming. How many flavors/frostings/fillings etc is a good amount to offer for your standards? Any info will be great! Thanks

7 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 8

I cover the basics... chocolate, vanilla, lemon, spice, carrot, red velvet and such... I have many other options, but I can't list them all out... it would be way too long. For fillings I list what is popular. I always tell people to take a look at my flavors page and if they don't see what they want just name it and I can make it into cake.

When you have a million options it makes it hard for people to choose. I list out popular combos and then we can go from there to hone into what they want.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 8

Agreed that offering popular combinations is a good way to go, since customers may have no idea which flavors complement each other.

We have a number of combinations broken out by type of cake flavor here:
http://www.allergyfriendlypastries.com/products.html#combos

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 8

I do pay attention to magazines etc to see new flavor combinations, but I'm shocked how often people want the "same-old, same-old" for their cakes. I offer different fillings, but most people want the basics, with a few adventurous palates here and there.

But, if someone brings me something new and I do it special for their cake, I will see others ordering it as well. It's like they don't want to order it for their own cake, but they taste it somewhere else and then decide they want it too!!

I did one coffee flavored cake with chocolate filling for a wedding and then I saw quite a few orders for that combo after that.

Tami icon_smile.gif

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 8

You should do a search for Macs Mom's flavor combinations on this forum. Talk about overwhelming to see all the variations she has developed. She bases all her recipes on the WASC, but I like it just because she starts the enormous thread with all her different cake and filling combs. You could spend days reading this thread, but it will give you lots of ideas and send you off into your own world of experimentation.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 8

basics for cake flavors and get a little more creative with fillings. Its really up too you.

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 8

I do strictly cupcakes and my standard menu doesn't offer filling. It has the assortment of cupcake flavors and icings to choose from. I then have a specialty menu which are filled and specialty cupcakes (like Pina Colada) and to contact us to discuss/get pricing for custom flavors.

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much for all your info! This helped alot.!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%