Attaching Ribbon To Cake

Decorating By cowie Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 1:04am by cowie

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 6

I have heard about attaching ribbon to cakes using tape, double sided tape, royal icing and hat pins.. can anyone comment on what the best one to use is? I do not want the ribbon to let go during the event. Thanks

5 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 6

I just use the ribbon plain, but I rub shortening on it before hand and wipe off the excess. If you are applying ribbon to buttercream you will need to do this otherwise the ribbon will get spotty from the fat in the icing. Then just wrap it around. It will stay secure but if you have any worries then you can secure it with a dot of icing. I used corsage pins the first time but then realized this wasn't necessary.

I don't cover cakes in fondant but I imagine it's the same thing. You probably don't have to soak the ribbon but just wrap it and secure with BC or a pin. Just make sure you remove the pins before cutting!!

josilind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josilind Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 6

I do the same thing Annie does, it works just fine, with or without the pin or with the icing.

cowie Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, I am always worried about putting a pin near a cake, however, it does guarantee that the ribbon won't go anywhere and it looks pretty. Not sure what I will do as it's for a wedding cake and I have to know 110% it's not falling off lol

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 6

I use jots from the scrapbooking section in hobby and craft stores. Little tiny circles of double sided sticky tape. They come in different sizes. I use the smallest ones placed right at the edge of the ribbon, wrap ribbon around and then catch the final end right at the edge of the ribbon. Very little overlap and I've never had a problem with a loose ribbon.

cowie Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:04am
post #6 of 6

I have used jots for scrapbooking but never thought about those for ribbon. Great idea! I think I will try those.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%