Why With The Easiest Cakes Goes Everything Wrong?

Decorating By Panel7124

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 1

I'm really fed up with summer (and with clients who want whipped cream fillings and chocolate covered cakes... NOW icon_smile.gif ).

Client wanted a Black Forrest type cake. Where I live, this is the most common cake you can find in shops, there really is not much choice. It's always covered with whipped cream and chocolate shaves. Bakeries use ready-made mixtures for the sponge and all cakes taste the same. icon_sad.gif . I always bake from scratch and have my good old recipes that always use. As this was a first order from the client, I wanted to do something extra tasty that differs from all these ready-made bakery cakes and changed the recipe of the sponge to one I found on-line, seemed good (added more chocolate for extra taste ecc.). Tasted really good but... the consistency a total disaster. Even worse - the cake was a heart-shaped one and all was totally crumbling. I had to rebake the sponge according to my old chocolate sponge recipe. Then I did not have any liquors at home (needed kirsch, maraschino o cherry) as I don't drink alcohol and don't like to use it for making cakes. Bought one small bottle only for this cake. Could not find amarenas for the filling anywhere. Had to buy cherries, ok. Client wanted a special top finishing - red chocolate smooth surface with white chocolate writing. Tried this before just to see if can be done - ok. With temperatures over 35°C and humidity more than 80 % the chocolate would NEVER harden. Had to put it in the fridge icon_mad.gif. What a disaster. Then I thought comes the easiest part - whipped cream filling and we are done, a couple of minutes before the client comes to pick up the cake to keep everything fresh. Probably got the wrong batch I don't know... the cream that I normally use without any problem - becomes lumpy, runny and disgusting. Ok, opened another one (different batch) - the same story. icon_evil.gif Got to go out and buy another brand, the client was almost on her way to pick up the cake. In the end managed to finish that stupid cake and she liked it... I'm only waiting for her call this evening, hope she will NOT complain. I've done three fondant children birthday cakes this week, no problem but I really do not understand why the easiest cake becomes a real nightmare... Sorry, I had to ventilate a little bit (sitting in front of fan icon_cool.gif )

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%