16" Round Cake - Need Help Please

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm by Brenda1677

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 6

I need to bake and decorate a 16 base cake. This is a lot bigger than Im use to so I need a few pointers to help me out. Usually I use 3/16 foam core board under my tiers. Is this going to be strong enough for this tier? If not what would you suggest I use? How do you move the layers as you fill the cake so they dont break on you? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not much help with the foam core questions but I can answer your question about moving the layers so they don't break to fill them! Here's a video by Sweetwise. Around the 6 minute mark is how she explains exactly how to move a large cake without it breaking while you're filling. Her videos have helped me so much!

HTH!!

natesmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natesmomma Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:56am
post #3 of 6

Regarding your base, I would use something stronger, because this cake is going to have some weight. When I do a cake of 3 or more tiers, I use a 1/2- in. plywood board to support the weight. With this size board, I know my cake will be properly supported, especially for transport!

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:51am
post #4 of 6

Sweet mother of God, don't rely on a thin piece of foam in place of a board.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 3:26am
post #5 of 6

Great video!

Brenda1677 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda1677 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 6

I use 3/4 inch foam core and put it in a 1/2 inck square of plywood for transport

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%