Should I Refrigerate My Cake At All...delivery Friday?!!

Decorating By shannonlolly Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 2:19pm by knlcox

shannonlolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlolly Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:03am
post #1 of 6

I've got to deliver my cake on Friday, but need to space out decortating this week b/c I work and only have time to decorate in the evenings.
Here is my plan-
Tues(today)- filled & crumb coated w/ buttercream (the fillings do not require extra refrigeration).
Wed- Make my MMF and possibly cover it w/ Fondant if not too early?
Thurs- Add all my decorations to the cake
Friday - delivery
Sat - is the party

It's 97 degrees here today in central CA. I don't know if I should stick my cakes back in the fridge today or at any point. My buttercream is a 1-to-1 ratio of butter & crisco.

5 replies
suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 4:56am
post #2 of 6

You should make yr MMF a couple of days ahead. Make yr mmf before you bake the cake.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 5:10am
post #3 of 6

mmf should sit out at least over night to settle...to make sure you get a nice consistancy.

I think you're timeline sounds ok other than that, but with that high of heat I would definitely refrigerate

shannonlolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlolly Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 6

Ok thanks. I've never made MMF before so this is good to know. Can I refrigerate w/ Fondant? I heard not to or it will crack.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 6

actually, the only thing you have to worry about with fondant is condensation. if you're able to get the humidity down in your fridge that is a good help. other than that when you bring it out of the fridge you are going to get that condensation and you may want to bring it out a couple hours before you have to decorate it so it's not slimy

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 6

I refrigerate fondant all the time and I do let it sit out a few hours to come to room temperature. I smooth my fondant using powdered sugar and when I put the fondant covered cake in the refrigerator it does have a thin layer of PS on it. I've never had a problem with the condensation leaving water marks on it. It does get slimy when it starts to come to room temp so if you do refrigerate it don't touch it at all or your finger mark will stay on the fondant and dry that way. I've never had an issue with the fondant being refrigerated and it could be because my area is super humid. I don't know if that makes a difference.

HTH!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%