Royal Icing

Decorating By LenaMay Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 9:10pm by LenaMay

LenaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LenaMay Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:05am
post #1 of 5

Someone talk to me about using it. Best recipes? Tips? Tricks? How do I keep it from breaking?

I've only tried it once, made my own. I tried to make fairy wings but they just broke. I let them dry for two days before attempting to attach them.

I've been contemplating a cake I'm making and I'd love to make black scrolls on a teal cake. However, I'm afraid to give it a shot.

4 replies
knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:19am
post #2 of 5

I just read somewhere on here that royal icing on a cake isn't a good idea because the buttercream underneath will cause it to break down and possibly melt. I'll find the post I was reading and post a link. Maybe you can use black buttercream for your scrolls? If you do pipe scrolls with RI then put them on the cake just before you serve it to keep it from breaking down.

LenaMay Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:23am
post #3 of 5

Most all of my cakes are made with fondant. I think buttercream would not look quite right on the fondant

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:57am
post #4 of 5

That def makes a difference if you're using fondant! What recipe are you using? I know there's a recipe out there that calls for meringue powder and cream of tartar which I've used before. It's pretty stable but will still break if you aren't careful. Make several scrolld so you'll have replacements if one breaks. Sorry I'm not much help!

LenaMay Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 5

The royal icing recipe I have uses vinegar. I really liked the consistancy, just hard for me to get it quite right when piping it out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%