My Kitchen Aid Mixer Burnt Out On Me !!!!!!!

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 5:23am by Annabakescakes

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:04am
post #1 of 21

Hi Cakers!

Well it happened! My Kitchen Aid 5 qt. Artisan went out on me. The last time I used it, the head of the mixer got REALLY hot. I started to smell the motor.

I use Sharon Zambitos BC recipe. It has always put a hurting on my mixer. This mixer has last about 3 years.

Should I have gotten more use out of it? Has anyone had one go out on them before?

I called KA and they are willing to send me a shipping box for 30.00 and they can tell me what is wrong with it. I am hoping someone that is reading this can shed some light on how much these usually cost to fix. I think the motor burnt out on it. Each time I make SZ icing, the top gets really hot.

Thanks,

Michael

20 replies
paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:24am
post #2 of 21

That really sucks! I am not sure how much it would cost to get it fixed. A small appliance repair shop might be able to shed some light on that for you...

I have the Classic KA mixer and use SZ's recipe all the time. So far (knock on wood) my mixer seems warm, but no warmer than when I use it to mix bread dough. I hope this doesn't happen to mine! I can't afford a new one right now lol

**edited to add: when I mix on speed 6 after all sugar is added sometimes I accidentally move the switch to a higher speed but it doesn't get faster? if that makes sense. It seems that once on speed 6 that's the highest it will go when I am at that stage of the recipe.

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:27am
post #3 of 21

Yes! I've had one burn out after about 2 years. I called KA and they had me take it to a local dealer in the area that charged $50 to tell me the motor burned out. After he repaired for $65 more it worked well for about a year and burned out again. This time I put up a fight with KA and they once again had me take it back to the dealer no charge. After it burned out a 3rd time I called KA and they sent me a new one. I still had the old too. I got that one fixed free of charge by the local dealer again, and it burned out a 4th time. KA never wanted it back to see what the problem was. The new one has been perfect for 2 years!! The old one sits in my garage dead.

meljce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meljce Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:42am
post #4 of 21

I had a kitchen aid mixer burn out on me after two years. I got a new one and so far it has been working good.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:51am
post #5 of 21

I end up having to repair mine every 2-3 years...cheaper than buying new, especially if they all need repairs every 2-3 years. haha. Sometime I'll just get a small commercial one, prolly....

Mikel79 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:00am
post #6 of 21

Sounds like the 2 year mark is about when these choke out.

I really appreciate the feedback folks!

Michael

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:07am
post #7 of 21

That's sad knowing the average time is 2-3 years. Oh well, I guess that gives me time to start saving for another.

Kitagrl Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:08am
post #8 of 21

PS you should not have to mail it back to KA unless its still under warranty...just do a search (or ask KA) for an authorized repair place in your area to take it to...

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:08am
post #9 of 21

*double post*

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:09am
post #10 of 21

I have a ProSeries KA and a classic. I find it difficult to make SZ's recipe on the bigger 6 quart (it always comes out with bubbles) so I mix it in the classic. The motor gets very hot, however, I've noticed that stopping the KA several times during the mixing process and giving it time to cool doesnot cause my KA to overheat and gives me the same fabulous buttercream. I think I will stick to this process when making SZ's buttercream. I've had my KA classic for about 3 yrs but I've only started heavily using it during the past year. HTH.
Fedra

Mikel79 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:15am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

PS you should not have to mail it back to KA unless its still under warranty...just do a search (or ask KA) for an authorized repair place in your area to take it to...

The KA service associate gave me both options, I just did not know which to choose. I will call back tomorrow and ask for a dealer close to me.

Thanks!

Michael

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:36am
post #12 of 21

This raises a good question I have about my KA. I've had it for about 2 years now and I was wondering about when I need to oil or grease it? I was thinking about removing the top and greasing the gears, making sure they turn properly and there is no metal shavings or gear damage. Just wonder if maybe a healthy bit of lube and maintenance my get some more time out of them?

knlcox - Curious if this might be an issue with your KA in the garage? The gears hard to turn so the motor fights them along with the icing. Would be worth lubing and trying another motor? Then again I'm not sure... you'd think a local repairperson would catch that... unless they only changed the motor without checking the rest.

Found this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6142338_do-grease-kitchenaid-mixer_.html

Darthburn Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:36am
post #13 of 21

This raises a good question I have about my KA. I've had it for about 2 years now and I was wondering about when I need to oil or grease it? I was thinking about removing the top and greasing the gears, making sure they turn properly and there is no metal shavings or gear damage. Just wonder if maybe a healthy bit of lube and maintenance my get some more time out of them?

knlcox - Curious if this might be an issue with your KA in the garage? The gears hard to turn so the motor fights them along with the icing. Would be worth lubing and trying another motor? Then again I'm not sure... you'd think a local repairperson would catch that... unless they only changed the motor without checking the rest.

Found this:

Darthburn Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:37am
post #14 of 21

Found this:

Kitagrl Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:38am
post #15 of 21

I think if you know how to oil your own gears that would be great! On mine, seems like the gear housing or something keeps getting a crack.

RheaCakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RheaCakeQueen Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:04am
post #16 of 21

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have had my KA for 12 years now with no problems =o) I sure hope it stays that way for awhile!

WillowsCry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WillowsCry Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:21am
post #17 of 21

Just had to share because I found it funny, and small things seem to tickle me these days, but while reading the posts on this topic, I happened to look at the top of the page and there was an ad for 50-90% off KA mixers at Brad's deals..Not advertising for them just sharing a "ironic" moment.

maggie1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggie1956 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:25am
post #18 of 21

found this video

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:36am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1956

found this video

thumbs_up.gif There are a whole list of helpful videos there. Thanks for sharing.

Mikel79 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:00am
post #20 of 21

Thank you folks!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:23am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RheaCakeQueen

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have had my KA for 12 years now with no problems =o) I sure hope it stays that way for awhile!

I have had my Ultra power for 12 years as weel. I accidently forgot to tighten the bolw down and it knicked the paint up thrashing around, but that is all. And my bowl is dull looking.

I have one with the bowl lift that is 20 years old, it makes noise, but is in great condition still.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%