How Do You Do Your Backdrops For Your Photos?

Decorating By Periperi Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 8:17am by Relznik

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 20

I'm just a hobby baker who makes cakes for family and friends. Since I can't legally sell my cakes, I haven't really gotten too serious about the quality of photos I've been taking. I would like to get a job in the cake industry some day and was thinking it would be a good idea to have some sort of portfolio of the work I've done. So far all my pictures are of my cakes sitting on my kitchen table. I think the curtains and the wood table take away from the cakes and "cheapen" them. How do you hang your background and what do you use? I want my photos to look more professional and would appreciate any advice you might have. Thank you!!

19 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 20

I've used wrapping paper, curtains, scrap material and dollar store table cloths. I also purchased the white tri-fold poster board (from staples). That works really well. Make sure your area is well lit and your background is not shiny.
HTH

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 20

I do mine with a piece of black fabric on a clothes drier and a coffee table!! .... like this

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 20

I'm just a hobby baker, so I don't really worry too much about the photos. I have, however, read that some will use scrapbooking paper for smaller items like cookies, cake balls, cupcakes, etc. I have also read about using fancy sheets (silks, satins), but you can also use curtain shears, tole, fabric. You could use a large piece of cardboard painted white, black, gray etc. You could use a large piece of gift wrap. Anything that provides a nice backdrop to your picture. You can even use a nature background. I've seen this done with outdoorsy type cakes.

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 20

Periperi -- I thought I'd saved something regarding cake photography from here at CC, but can't locate it just yet.

In the interim, here are a couple of links with excellent suggestions:

1. http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-photo-booth.html

2. http://www.weddingcakesacrossamerica.com/WCAATips_CakePhotography.cfm

3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kim_thibodeaux/3048831377/

Hope some of those provide insight for you. : )

Take care, PDX

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 20

I use the typical tri-fold display board students use to display projects. I set that up, then I drape fabric over the board and onto the table in a color that works with the given cake design. I buy fabric that doesn't wrinkle easy, and is nonreflective (for the flash). Then I put the cake on a turntable and onto the fabric and start taking photos. I can easily turn the cake this way and get all angles of it.

Periperi Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 20

Thank you, everyone! Your info and tips have definitely been a big help. I'll be going to JoAnn's soon to get some fabric. Hurray for better cake pics! icon_smile.gif

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 20

I like tissue paper because it gives some texture. I have a big old rubbermaid clothes bin filled with all different colors.

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 20

I like tissue paper because it gives some texture. I have a big old rubbermaid clothes bin filled with all different colors.

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:04am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

I do mine with a piece of black fabric on a clothes drier and a coffee table!! .... like this

Love it! I'll have to try this next time I have a cake to photograph icon_smile.gif

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:29am
post #11 of 20

I use a tri f0old cardboard like the kids use for projects in school...I use black and it fits nicely around the cake and snapsnap icon_smile.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 20

Like Relznik, I bought some black fabric to use. IT's terrible on black cakes though, as an FYI, so if you do many of those (Thankfully, I have only done two), you might want a second color. I think I got a microfiber one to use. It works very well.

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:22pm
post #13 of 20

I have a collection of spare items - navy sheet, tan sheet, gold tablecloth, white tablecloth and black cloth left over from a project. I use my dining room table and clothespin the fabric to my chandelier.

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:28pm
post #14 of 20

I too use a trifold with black fabric draped over it.

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:37pm
post #15 of 20

I'm in a similar position as you, and was fed up of cheap looking cakes because of cheap looking photos, so I made myself a light box and this morning I took a photo of my apple streusel cupcakes with a yellow pillowcase taped to the top corner of the box, draping down under the plate!

http://www.studiolighting.net/homemade-light-box-for-product-photography/

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2135842

*edited to include the link to the resulting photo*

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:56pm
post #16 of 20

All really great ideas. When I have time, I usually will set up a black sheet and photograph in front of that. (I tried the light box thing, but my daughter smushed it)

The cakes I made before I bought the sheet and the ones that I don't have time to pull out the sheet and set it up, I edit out the background on Paint Shop Pro. It is really simple if you have some sort of photo editing program. I zoom in really close and use the paintbrush tool to paint black over the background. Most of the pics in my gallery are done this way.

Sara_Bee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara_Bee Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:32am
post #17 of 20

I just use two pieces of foamcore. I have white, pink, and blue with plans to add green and yellow too. I just put one on the table and one behind the cake and start shooting. I make sure to use all-natural light and I'm mindful of the time of day. Early morning and late afternoon are when I get the best light. You can see what my set-up looks like on my site--

http://totallysweetcakes.com

Periperi Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:40am
post #18 of 20

Wow! Such great info, thanks so much everyone! I went to the store today and got a few colors of backdrops. Can't wait to start taking better photos. ¢¾¢¾¢¾

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:46am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

This is similar to how I set up my cake photos. I purchased some black remnant fabric at a discount store. I prop up a piece of cardboard and drape the fabric over it. I always, always, always, try to take the photo near a window for natural lighting on a sunny day. I also take a ton of digital photos to find the perfect 'one'.
Recently I have learned that simply cropping the picture can make a big difference.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 8:17am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

I also take a ton of digital photos to find the perfect 'one'.

Oh yes, I take lots and lots and lots.... then as I'm viewing them, one will jump out at me!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%